• Page:

TOPIC:

Ignition coil locatin 09 Apr 2022 03:41 #865150

• Ojisan rider
  • Ojisan rider's Avatar Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 63
Aloha guys.

I been having brainstorm these couple days as I was working on electronics/harness on the bike and trying to get information before I settle on what to do. One of the thing is coil location.

Since I did a whole harness R&R, and reworking on the electronics on the bike, was thinking of relocating the coil. I know some racer did this, but how important is this? As of now, planning to relocate it to in front of the battery box. I'm in the process of making my own Alum. plate right behind the carb, where stock air box supposed to sit. I'm doing this because I need new location to fit the fuse box and many other things. Nothing fancy. Just get the alum. sheet and cut to fit. and since I have this plate, I thought "why not relocate the coil here?" .
But doing so will have longer spark plug wires. But will be free from all that engine heat. Which is more important? Removing form the heat source or shorter plug wires?

BTW, I haven't cut that sheet yet, so I'm not even sure if the coils fit on that plate. It was just a thought. I did look online, but mostly for cars so answers I was looking for is not there. I have a 86' Monte Carlo SS and that car has coil in cap (mounted on top of the distributor) but I know later cars came with separate coil. Hence my question. And since it's V-8, never have any info on wire length.

Any thoughts?
82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Ojisan rider.
  • Page: