Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna coils 30 Mar 2022 05:10 #864528

• Wildbill
  • Wildbill's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys.  I’m replacing my coils or should say installing new ones (Dyna 3 ohms) since the old ones didn’t exist on the bike when I picked it up.  My question is…. When you install the coils into the existing mounts should the coil body have an air gap between the body of the coil and frame OR is it okay for the body of the coil to rest against the frame?  I’m just concerned the bike vibrations may damage them and since there wasn’t any on the bike to begin with I have no point of reference.  

thanks 
1980 kz1000C

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna coils 30 Mar 2022 05:52 #864529

• Warren3200gt
  • User
  • Thank you received: 648
Air gap is required for the reason you mention. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wildbill

Dyna coils 30 Mar 2022 07:47 #864531

• zed1015
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1441
The coils must have spacers long enough to leave a small gap between the coil body and frame once the mounting bolts are tightened.
If you had the original Kawa coil spacers you would have found that they are too short for the Dyna's and would have needed packing out with washers to achieve the clearance gap.
The danger with using too short a spacer is that when tightened, the coil body hits the frame first and then the steel core flexes/bows which eventually cracks the coil body and premature failure.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

• Page: