Ignition coil Q

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Jan 2022 22:40 #861321 by Ojisan rider
Ignition coil Q was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys.

I'm almost done with wire harness and my next move is to fire up the engine. But I still need to get such as battery, plug boots (I have plugs and wire) and other small stuff. But for now, my main concern will be ignition coils. What I mean is that I haven't fire up the motor for so long, I'm not sure if the original coils are any good. I also have 89' ZX7 coils as I have that bike in pieces right now (better than KZ though) so I can use that as well.

But for now, just to make sure, I was going to pick up cheap Chinese coils so I can at least fire up the engine. That way, if engine does not start, I can eliminate coils as the corrupt. Or can they with cheap Chinese crap? Any other recommendation aside from picking up those expensive aftermarket coils? I will probably, again, probably change the coils somewhere down the line after I get the bike started. But for now, I just want to get the bike started so I can make some adjustment as well as fine tune the electrical and other stuff.

Any thought on those Chinese coils? BTW, I will swap the Chinese coils to original, if not the ZX7 coils, once I get the engine started. So those cheapie coils are for start up only item. I probably keep them as spare but nothing more. Trust me. I had bad experiences with Chinese crap such as SBC vacuum distributor and other so these are truly for start up only coils.

So far, I did almost all the test FSM has on coils and they all fall in specs, but you never know with these electrical stuff.......................

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2022 22:53 #861322 by Warren3200gt
Replied by Warren3200gt on topic Ignition coil Q
If the original coils primary and secondary windings test OK they are more likely to work than the Chinese crap. The originals were quality items and won't have deteriorated from just sitting unused if dry stored. 

Z1000J2 somewhat modified!

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
29 Jan 2022 14:39 #861390 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Ignition coil Q
Thanks Warren.

Yeah, both coils (KZ and ZX) are kept dry and there's no hint of rust except at the mounting tabs. And yes, both primary and secondary is within spec. I just wanted to simplify my troubleshoot in case engine does not fire up. I R&R wire harness and carb, engine is rebuilted by me, and have coils that pass the test but wasn't fired up in few decades. So just wanted to make sure.

I still have few more steps I need to take so won't be for a while, but if I needed, I was going to buy those cheapie Chinese stuff since I still need collect part. I guess I'll wait and see.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

More
30 Jan 2022 07:12 #861448 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Ignition coil Q
Save your money for something else.  Stay away from cheap coils.  You will save yourself a lot of grief and frustration.  If you are going to buy coils get known good ones.

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1