• Page:

TOPIC:

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 07:19 #860773

• willemZ900
  • willemZ900's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 51
I'm fixing my ignition/wiring but I can't identify this part. The end connector goes to my (Z1000J)ignitor and the other goes toe my ignition (Z100J) ignition Can someone help me identify this device?
Willem

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 09:07 #860780

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494
What specific year and model is your bike?  I looked through the diagrams for the early J models and don't see it.  How man wires go into the two white connectors?  Do they both have 3 pins?

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 10:27 #860788

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
maybe it's an anti theft device that disables the ignition system. that one doesn't appear to have very many wires, though.

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 12:13 #860791

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
The bike is a Z1B 1975 but the wheels, frontfork, gauges and electrics are from a Z1000J 1981. The former owner already put these things on and i am driving it for 35 years without any problems. At the moment the bike is disassambled because of two small cracks in the gussed. Frame is already repaired and powdercoated, engine is almost ready and now am i refurbishing the electrics, nothing is broken and i understand all the parts except this black thing. No marks except for QM14 and i also can't find the part on the wiring diagram.
The IC igniter has 4 colors: red, blue, black and yellow, the ignition has the same colors, but yellow and black are also connected to the mistery box.   There is also one orange wire with a green stripe and this one goes to the main wiring. I shall look tomorrow to the main wiring were this wire disappears. The blue one is disconnected. Maybe it has something to do with the former fuelgauge on the Z1000J because my Tank has not a gaige???

Last edit: by willemZ900.

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 13:24 #860794

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
In the wiring diagram the red, blue, black and yellow wires goes to the picup coils connector.
It would be better to know the wire colors on each connector and connections hidden under the tape and shrink tubes.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 13:50 #860795

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
Only yellow and black are split and connected to the black box. By the way the black box looks like some kind of relais

please help identify 20 Jan 2022 13:56 #860796

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 494

The IC igniter has 4 colors: red, blue, black and yellow, the ignition has the same colors, but yellow and black are also connected to the mistery box. 

Maybe it has something to do with the former fuelgauge on the Z1000J because my Tank has not a gaige???

I don't see any reason why the ignition pickup coils would have anything to do with the fuel gauge or fuel sensor.  That seems unlikely.

I'm inclined to agree with H1Vindicator, that it's something aftermarket that someone added for anti-theft. 

Here is my question.  On this gizmo, can you plug one of the white connectors into the other white connector.  Do they mate?  If so, that suggests that this can be added into an existing junction.

My thinking is that this box was intended to be inserted at the point where the pickup coils feed into the igniter box.  By interrupting or connecting these signals, the ignition would either be disabled or enabled.  

Looking at the wiring diagrams for the 1981 KZ1000J, I don't see anything that looks like this box that came from Kawasaki.
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

please help identify 10 Feb 2022 11:44 #862092

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
 Today I finished the assembling of my Z and I was browsing the Kawasaki Z1-Z1B book by John Brookes. On section 38-electrics, page 271 I found a photo and the description: Stop Lamp Outage Switch Indicator. Applied by Kawasaki at various models and now a very rare part/discontinued. I think mistery solved, i left the part on my bike but i don't know if it stil works

• Page: