Upgrading charing system

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Nov 2021 00:58 #858375 by Ojisan rider
Upgrading charing system was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys. As you may know, I'm in the process of upgrading my electrical system. Well, more like R&R of the harness and related components. Anyway, while I'm doing this, something hit me. I also did some search on the web but couldn't find anything I was looking for. Maybe I used the wrong phrase. According to FSM, my bike is like 17A@8000rpm? (Forgot the rpm range).

Anyway, what I'm looking for is more charging power. Don't take me wrong. My bike is not up and running yet and I had no problem with charging system when the bike was running. But with modern electronics (both add on and usage), I thought what will be our option to upgrade our charging system. Will this be anything simple like just bolt on something or does this require a trip to out nearest alternator shop?

As far as cars are concern, we can just swap it out with higher output one. how about our bike? Change out the stator? If it's too difficult, I'm probably gonna leave it alone. Probably.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Nov 2021 11:50 #858403 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Upgrading charing system
A more powerful charging system isn't necessarily a good thing, unless you NEED the extra power.  Reason being, with a common shunt type R/R all the power that's not consumed by the bike while running will be shunt returned to the stator where it's dissipated in the form of heat (which can damage the stator.)  Kawasaki did a good balance job of only making the generator strong enough for the need, so stators live a good long while in most KZ's.  Some other bikes burn up stators regularly though because the charging system makes too much power.

Modern technology has a solution to this problem though in the form of a SERIES R/R.  These units, like the Shindengen SH775 or Compufire R/R's, shut off power and do not shunt return the extra power to the stator.  If you want to use a high power stator for occasional use then I'd source one of these R/R's to go with it.  I run a SH775 to optimize reliability.  Good clean used units can be found for about $50 so why not?  Regarding a high powered stator, they are out there...but I can't tell you for sure what's best.  Electrosport maybe?  They used to advertise that their stators output more power so you may want to contact them.  

Good luck with the upgrade.

More
28 Nov 2021 12:00 #858405 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Upgrading charing system
Also, among popular upgrades is conversion to LED lighting that uses a fraction of the power of incandescent bulbs. You might want to calculate the draw of the upgrades you are interested in to see if there really will be a significant load increase.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
28 Nov 2021 12:27 - 28 Nov 2021 12:29 #858407 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Upgrading charing system
Hey Ojisan,
i bought an Electrosport stator a few years ago because my old one was on life support. It's a good stator but while their blurb says 10% higher output than OEM I would not call it high performance. I would say it works like the original would have when new. If your existing stator is working fine I would leave it alone.

I also replaced the reg/rect (not a SH775 like Nessism suggested - time will tell) and I relaced all the wiring between Stator and battery plus replaced fusebox and associated wiring.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
Last edit: 28 Nov 2021 12:29 by JR.

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Nov 2021 12:37 #858408 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Upgrading charing system
Thanks for all the info guys. As I mentioned, my bike is not running yet and it was just a thought just in case I need it. I really doubt that whatever I plan to install later to the bike will draw that much current, but I was just preparing for it.

When I was riding, all these add on wasn't available ( such as driving recorder, go-pro or cell phone just to name a few) so just was getting prepare for it. I guess I'll leave it alone for now.

Anyway, thanks for the input guys.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

More
28 Nov 2021 13:09 - 28 Nov 2021 13:13 #858409 by Move0ver
Replied by Move0ver on topic Upgrading charing system
So these guys aren't shipping internationally right now (which is annoying, because I have some stuff I want to buy from them) but one of these two things is probably exactly what you want:

pamswebshop.my-store.jp/shopdetail/00000...t43/page1/recommend/

pamswebshop.my-store.jp/shopdetail/00000...t43/page1/recommend/

Copy and paste the link into translate.google.com and it will translate the page for you.

Last edit: 28 Nov 2021 13:13 by Move0ver.

More
28 Nov 2021 14:02 #858411 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Upgrading charing system
Found this site. You vet them, just trying to help you source parts. I like the fact the update on the bottom there site is today’s current date. 

www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
28 Nov 2021 20:40 #858417 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Upgrading charing system
Thanks Move0ver. According to that site, Type 1 will be an upgrade from early inner rotor type of charging system and Type 2 are upgrade from later outer rotor type charging system. If you do decided to go with any of their upgrade, they recommend MOSFET type RR as stock one will not handle the output of these system.

Guess I found what I need, in case I need that extra power. If I can justify the cost of $1200 plus shipping.................

Mikaw, thanks for the link. Much more reasonable. I'll look into it IF I ever need it. But I'm planning to add few extra stuff such and front and rear driving recorder, maybe cell phone charger or something similar. No, I don't believe in riding and cell phone at the same time. just for charger and if any, maybe GPS but even that, I doubt it.

More
29 Nov 2021 06:25 #858422 by Move0ver
Replied by Move0ver on topic Upgrading charing system

Thanks Move0ver. According to that site, Type 1 will be an upgrade from early inner rotor type of charging system and Type 2 are upgrade from later outer rotor type charging system. If you do decided to go with any of their upgrade, they recommend MOSFET type RR as stock one will not handle the output of these system.

Guess I found what I need, in case I need that extra power. If I can justify the cost of $1200 plus shipping.................

Yea PAMS makes amazing stuff for the Z/KZ.  I'd like to buy their custom AS Uotani SPII ignition kit, but need to find someone in Japan who can act as an intermediary shipper. Not sure why they've suspended international shipping.