Wire harness R&R Q

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
06 Nov 2021 15:35 - 06 Nov 2021 15:36 #857529 by Ojisan rider
Wire harness R&R Q was created by Ojisan rider
Aloha guys. Lately, my workplace has slowed down quite a bit, so decided to take some of my hobby to my workshop and work on whatever I needed to be done. My boss is OK with it too as long as I do what need to be done.

Anyway, I've always wanted to work on my wire harness as I kept having problem from the get go, ranging from turn signal not coming on once in a while to one coil goes dead all of a sudden. I've already traced these and other and addressed it but that was only band-aid fix. So since I have the whole harness, decided to do some R&R. So I pulled it out from the parts bin, and took it to my workplace. Man, I was in for a big surprise.

Mind you, these were not done by me for sure or I would have remembered it (or will I?..............). Yes, some of the cut wires were done by me to put on aftermarket turn signals, but what the hell happened to the headlight socket? And all that splice?? Anyway, more reason to R&R the harness. BTW, I'm probably gonna replace, as much as possible and what I can get, all if not most of the terminals due to it's age. Besides, some of the plastic are disintegrating as soon as I tried to pull the wires so at this point, I'm looking at some kit. Probably gonna get it from this guy. www.cycleterminal.com/index.html

Anyway, sorry for the long story. Finally my question. For those who changed out the fuse box, just what type of fuse box did you use? I tried to look for weatherproof box on the net, but they all seem to have more than what I need. I'm doing the whole wire harness so I want to replace the old tube type fuses to blade type fuses. It's very hard to find these fuses around here and if I do find it, don't have the one I need. And yes, I know you can buy these online, but when fuse blow, you usually need it right away so another reason why I want to replace it.
Besides, I also drive 86' Monte Carlo SS, so I have plenty of those blade type fuses in variety.

Oh, and lastly, I know you guys love pictures, so here we go.

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
84' GPz750 (basket case). everything are in pieces.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 15:36 by Ojisan rider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2021 18:43 - 06 Nov 2021 18:55 #857540 by F64
Replied by F64 on topic Wire harness R&R Q
Actually, scratch that. It only has 2 circuits instead of 3
I would grab this one new from Partzilla.
www.partzilla.com/product/kawasaki/26004-0010?ref=null

www.powersportsnation.com/kawasaki-prair...nEAYYAyABEgIIFfD_BwE

New for $35
4 ATC blade fuses.
Just cut the wires and splice your wires on.
It's from a 2012 Kawasaki ATV so it should be somewhat rugged.

photo: www.powersportsnation.com

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Last edit: 06 Nov 2021 18:55 by F64.

More
06 Nov 2021 20:16 #857546 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Wire harness R&R Q
Hey Ojisan,

I went to my local small motorcycle shop and asked them to get me Drag Specialties part # 21220-0220 from the Fatbook. Cost was less than $20.

This one is open at the back so I glued a piece of a rubber pad there. Holds 4 fuses. A search will likely find you others.

That harness or yours sure could use some TLC .One of the connections looks like it might have been made with a twist on home use marette.  Heat from behind the headlight probably didnt help either.   It will make a difference to repair these.

I hear Cycleterminals have a good reputation. I bought connectors and wires for vintageconnections who were excellent. My biggest investment was in a good crimper.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Nov 2021 01:16 #857557 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Wire harness R&R Q
Thanks for the info JR. Yeah, found similar ones on the net, but trying to locate weatherproof, if not somewhat water tight box. Unless I extend the line to the fuse box, mine was located inside the left side cover. And because it's at the left side the side stand sit (lower side), my reason for the water tight box/case.

But since I'm doing R&R on the harness, that may be the option if I can't locate any water tight box.

I already bought the kit and some terminals from cycleterminals, and currently looking for good electrical wires so I can start on harness R&R.

Man, I feel like I just opened the Pandora's box..................... But then again, thank god I did. Can you imagine find all these after you finished  your bike?

82' KZ750-R1 cafe racer style. Clip-on, Rear set, Fork-Brace, Mikuni Flat-slide (forgot the size), Kerker.
89' ZX750-H1 (ZX-7 Ninja). Resurrection project are on going with my KZ750. Everything is stock.

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
More
07 Nov 2021 04:23 #857558 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic Wire harness R&R Q
Take this for what it's worth but it might be easier and cleaner overall to just rebuild your existing harness.  If you have a large table so the harness can be fully unwrapped so each wire and connector can be traced & cleaned it's not as daunting as one may think.  Way easier than building a new harness from scratch that's for sure.  My experience in doing such work involved converting a Suzuki harness from a LTD style bike to work in a sport version bike instead.  I had to graft different wiring for the hand controls, gauges, stuff like that.  It was actually kind of fun.  It helps to have a few old harnesses you can use for extra wire of the proper outer cover color.  Kawasaki, like most OEM's, use standard coloring for standard circuits throughout there bike family.  There are little pin tools so the brass terminals can be removed from the plastic connectors, and when done wrap the harness in non adhesive Elliot tape.  

Regarding the fuse box, realize that none of the electrical connectors on the harness are waterproof so there isn't much to gain in having a waterproof fuse box.  Just my opinion of course.

More
07 Nov 2021 13:23 #857602 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Wire harness R&R Q
If you want waterproof stuff, a local marine supply house may have what you need, and without the stigma of low cost.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: slayer61

• Ojisan rider
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
More
08 Nov 2021 01:00 #857633 by Ojisan rider
Replied by Ojisan rider on topic Wire harness R&R Q
Thanks for the info guys. As for the fuse box, I know it's overkill to have the weatherproof ones, but I had some bad lucks with regular box when I was working as GSE mechanic at the airport. Of course, those boxes were just open box, so maybe the one with cover works OK? Most of the troubles were short circuit due to rain and such.

As for the harness, yes, I'm rebuilding the one I have, but the condition it's in..................Trust me. That wasn't done by me. If it was, I would've fixed it long time ago. With proper terminal and perhaps with soldering gun/stick. Fortunately, I do have pretty big table at my work, so I'll be doing R&R slowly but surely. And with right tool!

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
09 Nov 2021 07:38 #857719 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Wire harness R&R Q

If you want waterproof stuff, a local marine supply house may have what you need, and without the stigma of low cost.
without the stigma of low cost 

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
09 Nov 2021 12:58 #857729 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Wire harness R&R Q

Thanks for the info guys. As for the fuse box, I know it's overkill to have the weatherproof ones, but I had some bad lucks with regular box when I was working as GSE mechanic at the airport. Of course, those boxes were just open box, so maybe the one with cover works OK? Most of the troubles were short circuit due to rain and such.

I used this one - $7 on Amazon. It's going inside a custom enclosure so I'm not worried about it being waterproof.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R