Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Wiring it up 19 Aug 2021 22:43 #854091

• Ghosthunter
  • Ghosthunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Greetings all. I am new here but not new to Kawasaki bikes. I am new to vintage bikes. Anyway I picked up a 1980 kz1000 shaft driven with a kick and an electric start. Bike has compression. Starter solenoid was bad. Anyway when looking into it I noticed the wiring had been hacked to horrible state of disarray. Including splicing different wiring and colors together. Anyway thus is a bobber project half done. My question is should I yank all the wiring except the gauges cluster and start new? Wire it up minimal like I want it to be. Just the starter group lights etc. and get rid of the rest of the mess. Has anyone does this?
Life is nothing but memories...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Wiring it up 20 Aug 2021 08:31 #854100

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
KZR topic & diagrams by loudhvx>> bare bones for mattylight >> Pg 21:
kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/172746-19...mattylight?start=240
There may be a more simplified diagram for your KZ1000-E2.  Some of the diagrams may be missing. 

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Wiring it up 20 Aug 2021 11:17 #854104

• Ghosthunter
  • Ghosthunter's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you, I do have this diagram but I do not know where to include the electric start. I should've been more clear that I have to have the electric start due to a slight disability. My new starter relay came in today and It has a red and a blue wire coming from it as well as the hook up points. Where do these go? To be honest I am already so frustrated with this bike if I were to be offered what I paid for it thus far I would be happy to walk away. I just wanna ride. I grew up with a Dad shoving panheads down my throat and I should have swallowed some of his knowledge honestly. However I bucked and my first bike was little ninja 250, which was not enough then came a zzr6 and again not enough, and a gxsr and a cbr were in the mix...but i traded all those for a 2000 zx12 and fell in love. Sadly I never learned much about wiring.
Life is nothing but memories...

Wiring it up 20 Aug 2021 19:32 #854122

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
Really depends on how big of a mess the previous owner made as to whether I would rewire it.
If you are just rewiring the solenoid, it should be easy.
It's just an electromagnet with some terminals at one end.
Just run the blue wire to ground and the red wire to the starter switch.
Thankfully, the electromagnet isn't picky about polarity.
Your old solenoid may have had a small yellow/red wire(i also see a yellow/black version) for ground and a small black wire for +12V.
Just run the blue from the new solenoid to the yellow/red(yellow/black).
Run the red from the new solenoid to the small black wire.
Note-if you get these wires backwards...it still works. You are just turning on an electromagnet.

The hook up points get the bigger wires.
One wire from the battery's positive terminal and the other wire going to the starter.
It doesn't matter which wire goes to what terminal.

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Last edit: by F64.
  • Page: