Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

I fixed my switches!! 13 Jul 2006 05:13 #61638

• KB02
  • KB02's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
This is a sort-of "How-To" for those who might be interested.

On my '80 KZ550c that I have been working on, one of the problems was that the left side switch pod on the handle bars was shot. The horh button did not work and the blinker switch was frozen. Not wanting to have to promise my first born to Kawasaki for a new one, I desided to go to ebay. I found one off of a 1982 KZ550 and figured that would b a direct replacment. Wrong. The 82 apparently had different switches as the wirng harness plugs were different and there was even an extra switch on the pod that the '80 did not have. After realizing my defeat, I desided to look at the old switch and see if there was anything I could do (what the heck, it was dead anyway. Whats the worse that I could do?)

Opening up the pod, it was obvious that there was rust and bugs' nests that were cloging up the works. The bug stuff was easy to clean out, it was the rust that concered me. I carefully pulled the blnker switch out of the housing and looked it over. It appeared to just be rusted in place. I carefully pried the side open and removed the switch slider and the front contact plate. Then it was dremel time. With a small wire brush attachment, carefully cleaned up all the electrical contacts and the back housing the best I could. I then cleaned the whole thing off with contact cleaner and put a small amount of grease on the back of the slider. I carefully put it all back together and put al the screws and level back in place and WA-LA!!! It worked like it was a brand new switch!

The horn button was a little different since there was a rivit holding that together rather then just being pressed together like the blinker switch. But, it was the same basic process. I carefully pulled everything apart and cleaned it all up with the wire brush on the dremel and then put it all back together again and I have a horn once again as well. I realize now that I should have taken pictures of the process, but alas, I did not.

Well, I hope this was helpful to at least someone. Incidently, if anyone os looking for a set of handlebar conrol switched of an '82 KZ550, I have them for sale on ebay:
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ame=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I fixed my switches!! 13 Jul 2006 06:13 #61646

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Good for you to tackle that and get it all working. A few years back, I had a Honda Shadow and the starter button crapped out. I tore into it and figured out how everything was supposed to work; it had a slider that would kill the power to the headlight when the starter was turning. Anyway, the slider piece was broken so I had to order a new assembly, but at least I learned that you can get inside those little doo-dads. Just have a good clean work surface and plenty of light so you can find all the teeny parts that fall out!:blush:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: