Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Speedometer Reading Incorrect (Low) 10 Aug 2021 10:39 #853514

• kzMax
  • kzMax's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Hello, I've seen other posts on this forum where people say their speedo reads too high, and most of the replies say that's normal, however the speedo on my KZ550A has been reading low, which is more worrisome. It read pretty accurately until my recent crash a few weeks ago (I'm fine, bike is fine, don't worry). After making it home, I disconnected and removed the speedo so I could bend and pound the mount back into place. I was pretty shaken up on the ride home, so I didn't notice if it was incorrect right after the crash, or if it happened after reconnecting the speedo, but on my next ride it was reading about 7-10mph below my actual speed, as measured by a roadside radar sign - for example, my speedo read about 30mph while the radar sign showed 38mph. Is there any way I can adjust/recalibrate/repair the gauge to get a more accurate reading? Thanks.
1982 KZ550 A3
Central MA / Boston

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Speedometer Reading Incorrect (Low) 10 Aug 2021 11:29 #853517

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1892
To calibrate your Speedo you have to open the Speedo and adjust the spiral shaped spring attached on the speed indicator shaft. (less preload)

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

Speedometer Reading Incorrect (Low) 10 Aug 2021 12:22 #853519

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 349
There is also a magnetic gap that needs to be a proper size inside the speedo. That gap could be too big now.
Sounds like you'll have to take the speedo apart and see what is bent.
It could be anything that got shakened loose.

81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Last edit: by F64.

Speedometer Reading Incorrect (Low) 11 Aug 2021 05:44 #853558

• Rick H.
  • User
  • Thank you received: 254
Just a thought on this, but sometimes after an impact the needle on the speedo, or tach, can be bent or otherwise damaged. Make sure the needle isn't dragging on the face plate giving you a false reading. Working on speedometers can be tricky at best as usually more damage is done if one doesn't know what they are doing for sure. Years ago I used to take my presumably faulty speedometers in to one of two shops in Milwaukee that specialized in this type of repair work. I don't know if they are still in business or not anymore, if I were a betting man I would bet on they are not in business anymore. You may want to look into the chance of having a speedometer repair service look at your problem child, if you can find a repair shop.

Rick H.
Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

Speedometer Reading Incorrect (Low) 11 Aug 2021 08:48 #853571

• ckahleer
  • User
  • Thank you received: 133
The speedometer gearing is 2240RPM = 60mph. If you have a way of determinaning the input rpm, you can make your adjustment in one shot. Or
see what speed your speedometer reads when being turned with an electric drill. Since you know it reads 20% low, adjust accordingly.
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
79 KZ400
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c

• Page: