Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

81 Kz750H LTD turn signal diagnosis 06 Aug 2021 20:58 #853314

• Elfarm98648
  • Elfarm98648's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
Alright, as the title states, the turn signals are not working, I have the front running lights and can confirm the bulb is good by getting ohms across the rear bulbs. I know the relay is an old 2 pin, I also don’t think I have hazards, I don’t even know how to turn those on so that may help too. I can grab a multimeter and test for power coming out of the switch should be the green and black/white wires right? If I follow the power correctly, I get power to both hazard and turn signal relays from the ignition switch via orange/green wires. Then the relays push that to the handle bar switch, then gets sent directly to the signals? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 Kz750H LTD turn signal diagnosis 07 Aug 2021 03:55 #853322

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
My bike is 10 years newer, and don't know if your older bike has same connections, but my diagram shows the flow of power as follows: 

Ignition block feeds the turn signal relay by Brown wire.   Out of the turn signal relay is Orange, which feeds the handle bar turn signal switch, then it splits into Gray for right turn bulbs, and Green for left turn bulbs.    Mine also shows the gauge single turn indicator is simply bridging both sides, Gray and Green.    Black/yellow is ground(chassis or negative) all over, and the reference for both, Green and Gray.. 

.......if this helps.     Usually main suspect on this is turn signal relay.

81 Kz750H LTD turn signal diagnosis 07 Aug 2021 06:39 #853330

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
The front turn signal bulbs should have 2 filaments. Also, your motorcycle should have a turn signal operating switch & distance sensor >> the 80-85 FSM has the info in the 81 supplement.  I don't know anything about the system.

Wiring diagrams. mbsween.bike-night.com/kz750l3/manual.html
some of the diagrams are mislabeled in the links: the 1981 Ltd is an H2, the 82 is an H3, & the 83 is an H4.
note: the linked manual is a poor version.  there's a better pdf available. yellow-gold cover w color wiring diagrams

Last edit: by martin_csr.

81 Kz750H LTD turn signal diagnosis 15 Aug 2021 18:20 #853882

• Elfarm98648
  • Elfarm98648's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 59
Alright, while waiting on some parts for the ignition system, it gives me time to address the other issues with the bike. Main legal one being turn signals. I put new relays in it and still nothing, replaced both relays and still nothing. Any real diagnosis help here? 

81 Kz750H LTD turn signal diagnosis 23 Aug 2021 12:30 #854227

• Cabbagio Redentor
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm going to easy solutions here, you might end up having to trace wires and probe with a multimeter to find the source.

Have you tried cleaning out the switch? They aren't really sealed too well so water and grime can get in and stop contact. Try spraying a nonconductive penetrating oil in there and toggle it back and forth a bit to see if it cleans up.

Are the bulbs LED lights? If someone switched them they wont draw enough power to make the flasher relays flash. 
'80 kz650 LTD - Candy Red B A B Y

• Page: