Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bare essentials to start a kz650 26 May 2021 11:30 #849025

• kzed
  • kzed's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
So while I’m waiting on these valve shims. I’m thinking to start on the electrical. 

what would be the most basic electrical components to just test my work on the top end. The valve clearances are out. But I still think I can check to see if it turns over.

I’m sure I need the coils, spark, compression and air right? I just need a spark to test.
 Any ideas? 

also sorry for all the questions. Y’all are my only source of help. So thank you all!!!

i know I don’t need lights and blinkers etc. I don’t care about the push start either. My concern is frying these new dyna coils I got. So I assume the regulator rectifier should be wired up as well as starter, stator and alternator, and points? I I have a new dyna ignition system ready to install, but for now I’m just going to reinstall the points

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by kzed. Reason: Additional comment

Bare essentials to start a kz650 26 May 2021 12:14 #849027

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 350
Power to the coils
Ground to the frame
You can't leave the power on to the coils for too long if the engine is not running.
Guessing 5 minutes is a long time, but I'm sure that time varies depending on coil construction.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzed

Last edit: by F64.

Bare essentials to start a kz650 27 May 2021 03:44 #849046

• kzed
  • User
So I should use the battery directly to the coils?  And I guess another way to ask. What’s the most primitive way to start a bike electrically speaking? So power to the coils, should give me spark, can I ground to the frame or engine block? Or are both fine? 

thanks again guys

Bare essentials to start a kz650 27 May 2021 08:54 #849055

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 350
Yeah,  super primitive.

You want to make sure you can disconnect the battery quickly as you have no switch or fuse.

Positive battery terminal to positive terminals on coils.
Ground to   Engine block---your frame might not be electrically connected to your block.
Start the motor via push start.

Battery will not charge.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
The following user(s) said Thank You: kzed

Last edit: by F64.

Bare essentials to start a kz650 05 Jul 2021 07:51 #851320

• kzed
  • User
Thanks for the replys y'all! 

Bare essentials to start a kz650 05 Jul 2021 09:18 #851330

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2671
I've refurbished a number of different older bikes over the years and I don't even attempt the start the bike until the following is done:

- Full carb rebuild.  This involves unganging and breakdown of the carbs, soaking the bodies and hard parts in carb dip, then reassembly with new soft parts like O-rings and gaskets.

- Replacing the plugs and checking spark on each cylinder

- Replace/cleaning the air filter and rubber carb boots if they are original.  Air leaks are almost sure to occur if you don't replace the boots.

- Cleaning any sludge in the gas tank and making sure the petcock is functioning properly.

- Adjust the valves.  This is absolutely critical because many idiots think adjusting the valves is "too hard" so they neglect this critical maintenance and the engine gets damaged as a result.  Can't stress this enough.

• Page: