Question on upgrading fuses

More
07 May 2021 07:03 #848147 by Shade2k76
Question on upgrading fuses was created by Shade2k76
I have a 1976 KZ750 B Twin.  It is all stock.

I was curious if upgrading the fuse block to blade would "degrade" or devalue the bike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 May 2021 07:11 - 07 May 2021 07:12 #848148 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Question on upgrading fuses
What's the condition of the motorcycle?  If it's in really nice condition, especially mint or pristine, I wouldn't bother. 
I'm not aware of a 750 Twin having any intrinsic value, so it may not matter what you do.

FWIW, I'm still using the original fuse box w glass fuses on my 81 650-CSR & don't worry about them. I keep new spares on the motorcycle.  I've never had to replace a fuse on the 650 & once on a 400.
Last edit: 07 May 2021 07:12 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shade2k76

More
07 May 2021 07:20 #848150 by Shade2k76
Replied by Shade2k76 on topic Question on upgrading fuses
it is in "passable at best" condition. 
My first bike.  When I got it, it was a rolling frame and a box of parts.  Had it running a bit, (need to rebuild carbs still) it is blowing main fuse, but I think a lot of that has to do with they were using 1 1/4 inch, not the one inch. 
No one around me carries the 1 inch,  so was thinking in regards to to getting it back up and going, just swapping to the blade style. 

More
07 May 2021 08:02 #848155 by martin_csr
Many auto parts stores don't carry a very good selection of glass fuses any more, so you have to get them online.
I bought a pack of 20A & a pack of 10A.  I wouldn't get an assortment because those kits usually have several you don't need.

AGX fuses are 1".
AGC are 1-1/4".

• DOHC
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
More
07 May 2021 11:23 - 07 May 2021 12:43 #848167 by DOHC
Replied by DOHC on topic Question on upgrading fuses

I have a 1976 KZ750 B Twin.  It is all stock.

I was curious if upgrading the fuse block to blade would "degrade" or devalue the bike.

The fuse box is separate from the main harness.  This same box was used on a ton of models through the 70s.  They are easy to find on Ebay and reproductions are also available.  If you only modify (or replace) the fuse box, and you make no modifications to the main harness, you have done nothing at all to devalue the bike.  It's completely reversible.

I replaced only the main 20A fuse in my fuse box with an in-line blade holder. I still use the original 10A glass fuses.  As you may have found, 20A is too much for the wiring in the stock fuse box, and the wires and plastic clips melt before the fuse blows.

This is an example of the in-line fuse holder I used, but I have no idea if this specific one is any good:   www.amazon.com/dp/B07DHLKSNY/

You can remove the existing fuse box and splice this into the existing wires in place of the 20A main fuse clips, and then plug the box back in.

If you're repeatedly blowing the main fuse, you have a fairly serious fault with one of the devices on your bike.  You're going to have to track that down before the harness or some other part is damaged due to high current.  You can't always rely on the fuse to save you.

'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100
Last edit: 07 May 2021 12:43 by DOHC.
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr, Shade2k76

More
07 May 2021 12:28 #848173 by Shade2k76
I was actually looking at just that specific item...  (and yes,  really only looking at the 20A Main.)

More
07 May 2021 14:06 #848179 by Nerdy
Replied by Nerdy on topic Question on upgrading fuses
I went this route (KZ440):

The block itself was $6 or $7 on Amazon.

1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R

More
08 May 2021 07:09 - 08 May 2021 07:58 #848206 by martin_csr
By DOHC:  The fuse box is separate from the main harness.  This same box was used on a ton of models through the 70s.  They are easy to find on Ebay and reproductions are also available.  If you only modify (or replace) the fuse box, and you make no modifications to the main harness, you have done nothing at all to devalue the bike.  It's completely reversible. ....

Thanks.  I completely overlooked the fact that the fuse box assembly can be unplugged from the wire harness. doh.

Shade2k76:  this won't be much help, but CreativeWiringSolutions was one place where a direct swap blade fuse box was sold, but the original site is gone & the new site doesn't work.  Their fuse box was similar to the one Nerdy installed, but it had the stock type connector & wiring plus it was waterproof.  Maybe someone else sells something similar. ???  I did some basic searches but didn't have any luck.
Last edit: 08 May 2021 07:58 by martin_csr.

More
08 May 2021 11:00 #848215 by Kaylinator
Replied by Kaylinator on topic Question on upgrading fuses
Creative Wiring Solutions website is here: cwswiring.com/home-page

He seems to have started upgrading his website in the fall, but there's been no movement since. 

Here's a picture of his upgraded fuse box:

1978 KZ1000-A2
kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613296-1978-kz1000-a2-barn-find

1978 KZ400-B1

2022 Z900RS SE

More
08 May 2021 13:44 #848224 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Question on upgrading fuses
Cool find Kaylinator. Hope he gets back only soon. I’d give that a try.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

More
16 May 2021 16:53 - 16 May 2021 16:54 #848557 by DiamondSkyBlue1000
Replied by DiamondSkyBlue1000 on topic Question on upgrading fuses
I know I'm a bit late getting into this but I've been away from the KZ scene for a while so, apologies all around.  Watching Allen Millyard build his 6 cylinder Z1 on YouTube gave me the motivation to dust off the old KZ and get her back on the road.

Devalue the bike?  Is it in a concours level state now?  If not, then absolutely replace the fuse box.  As others have stated, finding the correct fuses is getting harder and harder and the fuseholders get weak over time resulting in heat that will degrade the stock box even more.  I have also had the fusebox melt before the fuse blew when a connector came loose in the headlight assembly and shorted to the housing.  This zapped my entire electrical system and killed my regulator and the dynamo's rotor.  Try finding one of those in good condition, good luck.  Stators, no problem, rotors, not so much.  I got lucky when someone bought the leftover stock from a defunct Kawasaki dealer and there just happened to be a NOS rotor still in the box in the pile that he was willing to sell me for a good price and I went with an aftermarket regulator.

It's a shame CWS is on hiatus, his plexiglas covered fusebox was a neat piece of kit that looks great installed.  It was plug and play and the blade fuses are much more reliable and easier to find than the glass ones.  It also gave you an additional circuit so if you are running an electronic ignition you can do away with the cheesy inline fuse setup that usually comes with them.

So, devalue the bike?  No way.  If I was looking over a bike that someone had upgraded the fusebox on, I would be happy that I didn't have to do it because it would be one of the first things I would do anyway.
Last edit: 16 May 2021 16:54 by DiamondSkyBlue1000.

More
17 May 2021 06:55 #848590 by Shade2k76
Thank you so much for all of your help.  I have her running now (sort of) She is getting spark now, And I am working on getting it sorted.  
It is bogging out at 3k to 4k rpm.  Since it was a rolling frame and a box of parts when I got it, I think I am doing pretty good for my first bike.  
The main thing is, I know it can start and run, now it is just down to fine tuning.
Thank you all for the help and the information.  I greatly appreciate it.