Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:09 #844066

• dthemac
  • dthemac's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Thanks! I was actually using a post by loudhvx as the basis of the wiring diagram, but what's currently tripping me up is the new ignition system and coils in the bike. If I'm understanding correctly, it seems like it bypasses the IC ignitor entirely.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:19 #844067

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
Some aftermarket electronic ignition systems don't use the igniter. Or if he installed a points ignition, that won't use the igniter either.
See the 1980 650-F1 ignition system diagram at Partzilla to see what the points ignition looks like.
Z1Enterprises.com will have a pic of the Dyna S ignition which is what you may have.
You could check behind the LH engine cover to peruse the ignition plate. maybe post a photo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dthemac

Last edit: by martin_csr.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:29 #844069

• dthemac
  • User
Here are some pictures. Looks like he installed Dyna coils and a Dyna S ignition system.
Attachments:

Last edit: by dthemac.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:44 #844072

• martin_csr
  • User
You'll need to install a grommet on the wiring where it enters the crankcase. The stock grommet may work fine, but I don't know if it would be available as a separate part. It usually comes with the pulsing coil (ignition plate assy).

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:46 #844073

• dthemac
  • User
I was wondering about that myself. I'll have to see if I can find one. Thanks!

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:47 #844074

• martin_csr
  • User
Keep in mind that whatever you find must be able to withstand high heat.
The auto parts store might have something. and if it isn't a perfect fit, trim it down & maybe add a light smear of high temp sealant. ???
But I would try to find the correct do-dad.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 07:59 #844076

• dthemac
  • User
If I'm looking on Part Zilla, where should I look to find the stock grommet? I can't seem to find it.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 08:12 #844077

• martin_csr
  • User
It isn't available as a separate part, but check the Ignition diagram. and also the Generator diagram >> the stator may have the same grommet or very similar. But like I said, the grommet isn't listed separately. instead, it's part of the wiring pigtail for the components. You can search the pulsing coil & stator part numbers on EB to see what the grommet looks like. It's squarish.

So far, this is the only thing I've been able to find. I have no idea how good of a fit it would be.
Z1 generator/stator grommet

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 08:17 #844080

• dthemac
  • User
Oh, I see. So it allows the wires to individually pass through.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 08:19 #844081

• martin_csr
  • User
Yes, but on that Z1 grommet, I guess you could drill out the center. Then use a high temp black sealant if necessary.
But again, I have no idea how it will fit.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 08:21 #844082

• dthemac
  • User
Yeah that could work. Another question. Apparently I don't just need the brake and clutch levers but the whole assemblies. I found the clutch assembly, but I'm having trouble sourcing a brake assembly and a master cylinder.

My first bike! 1982 KZ550C LTD, need some electrical (and other) assistance. 25 Feb 2021 08:37 #844083

• martin_csr
  • User
Your 550C had the same Fr br master cylinder as my 81 KZ650-CSR.
I installed different handlebars, but the m/c was then tilted plus it started leaking & a new piston is NLA.
So I got a good used Honda CBR500 master cylinder on EB.

KZ1000P police Fr br wire lead.
The Honda mc has the brake light switch, so I didn't use the police switch. It probably wouldn't fit anyway.