Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Question in regards to new sparkplug wires and rubber shields? 24 Jan 2021 09:03 #842289

• Ninja1195
  • Ninja1195's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
In the process of replacing my old and tired wire and plugs on my '82 CSR650

I have a '77-'83 Clymer manual that states the following:

"right hand coil fires cylinders #1 and #4 and the left hand coil fires cylinders #2 and #3"

Can I assume that this is also correct for a CSR650 given that the bike is (other than cosmetics) identical to a KZ?

Also the OEM wires have a secondary rubber cover (heat shield I assume?) that I am not able to salvage and reinstall on my new wires.

Am I ok to run just the wires as they were ordered or do I need to come up with some sort of heat shield?

Thanks you
1978 KZ650 B2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Question in regards to new sparkplug wires and rubber shields? 24 Jan 2021 09:35 #842292

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
The 650CSR is a KZ650-H1.
The wiring is pretty much the same (there may be slight differences in the wire colors. usually just the power wire).

Unless your sheathing is completely shot or something, you might be able to use silicone spray to remove it.
I don't know if the wires you got would need protection from a hot valve cover.
The Dynatek spark plug wire set I installed have a silicone jacket & don't need the extra sheathing.

The clymer manual is kind of a pain to use. I would go ahead & get the 81-82 KZ650 FSM. usually reasonably priced on EB, if not cheap. There are several right now for around $20. that's cheap.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Question in regards to new sparkplug wires and rubber shields? 24 Jan 2021 10:24 #842297

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
You can remove the outer shield and install it over new wires. You need 7mm copper core wire and resistor plug caps. NGK caps are good.

• Page: