Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Replace Starter with Battery 11 Jan 2021 19:24 #841552

• steckrca
  • steckrca's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone! Long time listener, first time caller. This board has been immensely helpful as I've worked on my 650.

Got the bike a couple months ago and have been steadily working on it. Guy got it on trade and wanted it gone. Someone had tried to turn it into a cafe racer so the frame was already bobbed--don't crucify me for having a bobbed 650. So far I've rewired the whole thing, all new forward controls, new front turn signals, replaced rear brake linkage, front pegs, and shifter, rebuilt carbs, begun rewrapping the 4into1 header, and the list goes on and on. She runs well but need to sync the carbs when my sync kit comes in.

I was out in the garage just looking at the bike trying to figure out a better place for the battery than zip tied to the front end of the swingarm (this was a temporary spot). Then I noticed the gaping hole where the starter used to be. A couple measurements and a few bolts later, the starter is damn near a PERFECT fit in the starter hole. I ended up getting a Anti-Gravity AG-AT7B-BS-RS along with a Rick's reg/rect. I ended up facing the positive out, negative in. Yes, servicing anything electrical will be a pain in the ass, but it keeps the area under the seat nice and clean.

Looking forward to the day I'll have everything to a point where I can actually ride! A bit of welding, motorcycle license (not my first bike but i've never been legal), and a fresh chain and I'll be ready to go.

Here's how it sat on Sunday, before moving the battery. Suggestions welcome.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replace Starter with Battery 11 Jan 2021 20:38 #841555

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
Thanks for saving that abused KZ.

I have three concerns about that battery location: heat, vibration and fuel.

The battery will get really hot there, and will take every vibration the engine and transmission put out. I predict a very short life for it.
Also, any failure of the petcock and float valves may cause fuel to drip or even pour on that hot electrical device (battery). That seems like a really risky plan to me.
A small lithium iron battery under the seat might be a better choice.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: steckrca

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

Replace Starter with Battery 11 Jan 2021 20:47 #841556

• steckrca
  • User

TexasKZ wrote: I have three concerns about that battery location: heat, vibration and fuel.

The battery will get really hot there, and will take every vibration the engine and transmission put out. I predict a very short life for it.
Also, any failure of the petcock and float valves may cause fuel to drip or even pour on that hot electrical device (battery). That seems like a really risky plan to me.

Thanks for the input! The lithium battery is supposed to be very vibration tolerant, so I'm not terribly worried about that. The heat on the other hand, I did think about that but didn't really think it'd be an issue. I'll keep searching for a better spot. I just thought it was a match made in heaven when it slid right in there. I wonder if a heat wrap (that insulated foil tape nonsense) will make a difference? Now that I read the warnings with the battery it does say to avoid prolonged temps over 120.

Well crap. Back to the drawing board.

Replace Starter with Battery 12 Jan 2021 00:27 #841561

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 353
I'll second the thought of under the seat towards the back.
Do you have to remove the carbs to get the battery out?
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY

Replace Starter with Battery 12 Jan 2021 07:55 #841575

• steckrca
  • User
Carbs stay installed, just have to remove the cover over the front sprocket/clutch linkage. I might end up going with the super small antigravity battery, but it doesn't have the restart feature or BMC integrated. It will hide nicely under the seat pan.

Replace Starter with Battery 12 Jan 2021 10:20 #841579

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I also vote for a less harsh location. Under seat is definitely better. Since you are not using a starter, you should be able to use a small battery hidden under the seat. If the bike is 1978 or later, and you are using points, and can wire in some switches for the lights, you might even be able to replace the battery with a simple capacitor. They are much cheaper than batteries. But the bike has to be tuned perfectly and start easily.

Replace Starter with Battery 12 Jan 2021 11:30 #841581

• steckrca
  • User
Bike is a 1977 B1. In my rewiring adventure I replaced the ignition switch with two rocker switches - one for ignition components and one for lights and charging system. Unfortunately I can't do the capacitor. I'll get a different battery and relocate.

• Page: