Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bump starting? 12 Jul 2006 12:59 #61473

• ISUboy
  • ISUboy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got an 82 440 LTD with a belt drive and am wondering about bump starting. Yesterday I rode for several hours, came home, and several hours latter I left again. I got about two blocks away when I was turning down the choke, everything died. Luckily I was at the top of a hill and tried to bump start it. It got going, but was running really roughly, so I ended up walking it home.
So my two questions are:
1) Is is bad to bump start with a belt drive, and if it's ok to do, should it be done any differently than from a chain/shaft drive?
2) If the battery won't hold a charge, should the bike still run after bump starting?

This is my first bike, and my manual hasn't arrived yet so I'm kind of at a loss right now as to what to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bump starting? 12 Jul 2006 13:15 #61480

• wireman
  • Visitor
well if battery is totally tits up it wont get very far,still need power for ignition.;)

Bump starting? 12 Jul 2006 14:02 #61494

• trippivot
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
use 2nd gear to push start it is easer on everything.

crap battery will cause endless problems best to get a new one as soon as possible.

Bump starting? 13 Jul 2006 06:36 #61651

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
I suggest you test the cells on your battery with a hydrometer before chunking it. What is interesting is that you were riding and everything quit. Does that mean the headlamp went out as well as the bike stopped running or did you notice? What went out is a sign of what to look for.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Bump starting? 13 Jul 2006 20:48 #61855

• ISUboy
  • User
Everything went out-no power at all. But I started it up just fine only 5 minutes prior. When I got home I put it on a trickle charger overnight. Next day I hooked it back up and lights were dim, and it wouldn't turn over. I went to AutoZone and picked up a new battery for only $30 it all seems well, for now...

Bump starting? 14 Jul 2006 06:25 #61896

• wiredgeorge
  • User
  • Thank you received: 44
The new battery will also behave like the old one... I predict your bike will just up and quit on your as the problem had nothing to do with the health of the old or new battery. Good luck.
wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

Bump starting? 14 Jul 2006 07:59 #61919

• Jay_G
  • User
Could possibly be a problem with your voltage "Regulator/Rectifio(SP) will cause under charing or over charging f the battey. best way to tell is hook a multimeter up to the battery while the bike is running and read to your manual when it arrives.

Bump starting? 14 Jul 2006 13:41 #61991

• ISUboy
  • User
I just hooked up my MultiMeter, and I was getting 12.3 on idle, and about 14.3 with the choke on. Since I'm still waiting on my manual, are these numbers acceptable?

Bump starting? 14 Jul 2006 17:28 #62032

• wireman
  • Visitor
sounds pretty good to me as long as it stays between 12-14.5v;)

Bump starting? 14 Jul 2006 20:42 #62081

• ISUboy
  • User
Well, wiredgeorge's post about my bike just up and quiting on me has got me a little worried. I'm reluctant to ride more than a few blocks from home (or at least stay near the bus routes :( ). If I'm getting the required voltage is there anything else I can test? Also is the voltage regulator a part that will slowly fail over time, or just it just go out at once?

I think I also need to make a little clarification here: It died when I was turning down the choke, not while I was riding. If I don't let it fully warm up, it will sometimes die on its own when I turn down the choke.

Thanks for helping a newbie out, hopefully once my manual arrives I'll be able to be a little more self-sufficant.

Bump starting? 14 Jul 2006 22:10 #62098

• wireman
  • Visitor
drive it!:P

• Page: