Can I start my 1976 kz750b twin without a battery using kickstart?

More
19 Oct 2020 06:09 #837220 by Cloonster
I've ordered the OEM spec battery but it arrives in 10+ days, I'm wondering if there is a way for me to get the bike running using only kick start. I saw a post of someone saying you need a battery of some sort on the bike even low voltage. Any help would be appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2020 07:22 - 19 Oct 2020 07:25 #837227 by martin_csr
I'm pretty sure you need the battery (or at least a large capacitor). In the KZ440 manual the battery is part of the working ignition system (points ignition). The 750B manual probably says the same. You could probably use a 12V car battery w some caveats >> car engine off. neg battery cable disconnected. car keys in pocket. I completely disconnected the battery from the car.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 07:25 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cloonster

More
19 Oct 2020 07:24 #837228 by ckahleer
A battery smooths the DC current. Running without a battery causes pulsating voltage. I would never run a bike with electronic ignition or other electronics without a battery, But with points it should not hurt. I bought a GT750 new in 1973. After a couple years the battery was dead. I never replaced it, just kick started it for the next 6 years. The bike may need a small exciter voltage to get started. If so you could jumper off a car or riding lawn mower.

94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VF1100c
The following user(s) said Thank You: martin_csr, Cloonster

More
19 Oct 2020 07:59 #837229 by 650ed
Just wait until the battery arrives. Charge the battery PROPERLY, install it, and then start the bike. If you start the bike with no battery how would you ride it or run it? If you experience electrical problems you will always ask yourself if starting the bike with no battery was the source of the problems. Just wait, time will pass quickly. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
19 Oct 2020 15:18 - 19 Oct 2020 15:19 #837253 by loudhvx
With no battery, you will not get it to start. There is no magnetism to create electricity in the alternator.

Some Kz's use a permanent-magnet in the alternator. Only those Kz's can run without a battery, but as mentioned, need a capacitor in place to smooth out the alternator pulses. Without it, the regulator can't regulate. This is true with points or electronic ignition and will cause over-voltage on the electrical system which has been known to melt light bulbs and burn out ignitions.

I run a 550 without a battery and it uses electronic ignition. It has a 3-phase alternator and I installed a 6000 micro-farad, 50v capacitor. Some wiring mods are also required.

Unfortunately, the 76 Kz750 twins don't use a permanent magnet, so must use a battery to excite the field coil in the alternator.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2020 15:19 by loudhvx.