Rotor/capacitor queries.

More
04 Oct 2020 14:36 #836159 by Rob67
Rotor/capacitor queries. was created by Rob67
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and have a couple of questions that I hope someone could help me with. I bought a GPX750R about ten years ago and still haven't ridden it. I wasn't aware that the starter clutch had lost some teeth and had
to take the engine out etc. which was quite difficult on my own in the garden. Anyway my questions are should the timing rotor have magnetism separate from the pick up coils and where does the capacitor that sends the power to the main coils get it's charge from? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Oct 2020 17:23 - 04 Oct 2020 17:26 #836175 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rotor/capacitor queries.
I'm not sure the U.S. got that model, so I'm not sure of the answers, but generally speaking the pickup coils have their own magnets and the rotor is just a piece of iron or steel. It could have a bit of magnetism from vibration and being near a magnet for so many years, but it most likely is not designed to have its own magnetism.

If the ignition is a capacitive-discharge (CDI) unit, the capacitor for it will be inside the igniter box and will get its power from the battery and charging system just like everything else on the bike. I doubt they would have put a magneto on such a large and modern bike, but small bikes and lawn equipment often use a magneto so they don't have to have a battery.

During that era, Kawasaki was not putting capacitive discharge ignitions on it's road bikes, especially the larger ones, so I would expect it has a transistorized ignition, like that on most later Kz's. In that case, I wouldn't expect a capacitor to be involved with the ignition. But again, I'm not familiar at all with that particular model so anything is possible.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2020 17:26 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob67

More
05 Oct 2020 06:22 #836194 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Rotor/capacitor queries.
The rotor isn't magnetised.
It's the same as on the earlier Z/GPZ electronic systems.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

The following user(s) said Thank You: Rob67

More
06 Oct 2020 08:43 #836284 by Rob67
Replied by Rob67 on topic Rotor/capacitor queries.
Thanks for your reply, I hope it's ok posting on this forum as I've realized that it is a KZ forum but my bike is a GPX. My bike does have CDI Ignition and the bike is also known as Ninja750r and Zx750f1.

More
06 Oct 2020 10:55 #836287 by Rob67
Replied by Rob67 on topic Rotor/capacitor queries.
My apologies loudhvx it is a transitorized system as you said, they call the ignition module an ic ignitor. Could you tell us where the coils get their power from?

More
06 Oct 2020 16:53 #836314 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Rotor/capacitor queries.
On Kz's, which have IC igniters, the kill switch feeds 12v to the coils. The negative side of the coils go to the igniter which grounds and un-grounds them to create spark.