KZ750 E&H Build

• GoatChaw2020
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2020 17:37 #834109 by GoatChaw2020
KZ750 E&H Build was created by GoatChaw2020
Alright guys, I've FINALLY found the new pistons & rings to the KZ and have them installed. Long story short, I found out ive got an E type engine on this H type frame. No big deal, this bike is Frankenstein incarnate so I just rebuilt the engine using E type parts just in case on partzilla.

Now its in the frame and I gotta wire everything up. I should point out that the dude I bought this bike from severed the harness at the headlight (headlight not included in purchase) and at the reg/rec so I need a FULL harness. My question is as follows: has anyone any experience ordering harnesses pre-made from aftermarket businesses and if so, who's the best?

I'm not building a tourer with all the bells & whistles. I've got LED turn signals & brake lights, a Denali soundbomb air horn, and an aftermarket headlight . Im handy with parts that move but I'm terrified of electrical work, so any advice, tips, or other words of wisdom like where to find a new wiring harness for cheap would be wildly appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2020 21:03 #834121 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic KZ750 E&H Build
I doubt you'll be able to find anyone who makes up a whole new wiring harness. These bikes probably aren't so sought-after that people will want to spend that much on a new harness. You might get lucky though.

Your best bet is to buy a 2nd hand harness, ideally from an H type. There are plenty of wreckers around and someone will sell you one, if nobody on this forum has one for you.

The wiring harness isn't too hard, just daunting if you're starting from scratch. Really there's only a few 'parts' - there will be the main harness, the centre harness, and the rear harness. I think both the headlight and the R/R connect up to the main harness, so you probably just need to replace that. If you figure out where these harnesses sit in the frame (if your mangles harness is still there, should be pretty easy), after that it's just a matter of connecting up the colours to the same colours of the components.

1981 KZ750 LTD

• GoatChaw2020
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Aug 2020 21:09 #834122 by GoatChaw2020
Replied by GoatChaw2020 on topic KZ750 E&H Build
Damn, I was hoping for not that response lol. Well, if anyone has a good harness for sale hit me up I suppose! The mangled old harness exists still but of course is not threaded through the frame anymore. I will have to take it out of the loom and get to labeling as best I can i suppose. Thankfully the manuals have a full set of diagrams, I just gotta learn how to read them.