• Page:

TOPIC:

Front Turn Signals Swap KZ 750 LTD H3 12 Aug 2020 00:04 #832689

• STILL Kawi
  • STILL Kawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

This is my first post/question. I apologize if I miss any etiquette here. I have an ‘82 KZ750 LTD H3 that My dad gave me. I grew up with this bike so, it has sentimental value to me but I’m not a huge fan of the riding position. I have recently converted the bars from the mini ape hangers to a sport bar. I also added more of a brat style seat. I guess I’m kind of chasing the 70’s z900 look and riding position. All is well, it looks great and feels great when seated.

The problem is the front turn signals.

A) I’m not able to fit them on the new bars as they were situated on the stock LTD bars — especially on the right side due to the master cylinder. I figured I’d solve that problem by getting stems like the rear stock signals. I went to a salvage yard here in Woodstock, ON and got stems that fit into the headlight mounts (where the reflectors attach to the headlight). Great! They fit!

B) New problem. Upon taking a part the bracket that’s attached to the 7/8 style bar clamps I realize two things. There is a ground wire attached to the casing with a torque screw (don’t remember this when I replaced a rear signal light that I broke years ago) and secondly, I’m not able to separate the light from that bracket how it’s wired.

I’m wondering, can I get replacement lights that are advertised as the rear on a place like Z1enterprises, follow the wiring into the headlight lamp and unplug the original lighting/wiring and hook up the “rear replacement” lights in place of it? This way I know I can attach the light to the stems as they are in the rear. What about that ground in the original brackets? Does it needed to be grounded another way?

Maybe I’m going the wrong direction with this all together? All I know is I have the bars and seat swapped, the last of the parts I need are coming from Z1 but I cannot (nor have the electrical knowledge) to know how I should best deal with this turn signal issue.

Thanks in advanced!
‘82 KZ750 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Front Turn Signals Swap KZ 750 LTD H3 12 Aug 2020 05:47 #832700

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Do you know if these are the stock turn signals? Yours should be identical to mine & I also moved them to the headlight bucket. The only thing I remember needing to do was to cut off the tiny grounding rings & crimp on a larger ones. 10mm from the auto parts store. I don't recall having any problems feeding the wires thru the stems. I got aftermarket KZ stems from Z1Enterprises.com.

As for replacements, most rear turn signals are single wire (plus a ground wire) & use a 1-filament bulb.
For the front you need a 2-wire turn signal (plus ground wire) & use a 2-filament bulb >> the fronts also serve as running lights.
The following user(s) said Thank You: STILL Kawi

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Front Turn Signals Swap KZ 750 LTD H3 12 Aug 2020 05:57 #832701

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
The innards of the rear turn signals are different than that of the front turn signals. Front turn signals use bulbs with 2 filaments; rear turn signal bulbs have only one filament. The front turn signal bulbs have one filament that is on whenever the headlight is on and one filament that is the blinker. Rear turn signals only have the blinker filament. Consequently, the wiring and innards of the front and rear turn signals are different to accommodate the bulb differences. So using rear turn signals on the front will cause a problem. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: STILL Kawi

Front Turn Signals Swap KZ 750 LTD H3 12 Aug 2020 08:38 #832712

• STILL Kawi
  • User
Thanks! I appreciate the quick response. I figured there had to be a way. I’m about to go out and see how far I get with it all again today. I’ll grab some photos if I need more help.

Yes, the running lights, duh! Why I didn’t consider that I don’t know. My poor oversight.
‘82 KZ750 LTD

Front Turn Signals Swap KZ 750 LTD H3 12 Aug 2020 18:58 #832751

• STILL Kawi
  • User
I got the signals installed on the stems and working. Thanks again!
‘82 KZ750 LTD
Attachments:

Last edit: by STILL Kawi.
  • Page: