Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Variations of starter reduction gears and starter motor drive gears

Variations of starter reduction gears and starter motor drive gears 30 Jun 2020 15:26 #829460

• Gdailey2112
  • Gdailey2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Seems I'm having a real problem with the starter reduction gears and starter motor gears not matching up. Horrible sounding! When I press start button, engages for only millisecond before teeth just let go ..then starter gear is spinning and grinding the reduction gear. My starter has 10 teeth and not sure if reduction gear is correct. Anyone else having similar issues?
1982 KZ1100 Gpz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Variations of starter reduction gears and starter motor drive gears 01 Jul 2020 00:17 #829491

• zed1015
  • Thank you received: 696
It's not the reduction gear.
It's the starter clutch slipping .
You need new clutch rollers and springs at the least and possibly a replacement clutch gear as the surface at its center that the rollers wedge on to that is attached to it also wears irregularly .

Variations of starter reduction gears and starter motor drive gears Yesterday 16:43 #830229

• Gdailey2112
  • Gdailey2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
No sir, replaced the starter clutch and roller pins. It's been viewed with the stator cover off, the reduction gear teeth seem ground down a bit. Gonna try to replace the reduction gear and see if that works.
1982 KZ1100 Gpz

Variations of starter reduction gears and starter motor drive gears Today 23:48 #830245

• zed1015
  • Thank you received: 696
Don't spin the engine on the starter with the cover off.
Without the reduction gear shaft being supported by the outer case you risk the boss on the crank case being snapped off as the torque tries to force the gears apart.

• Page: