• Page:

TOPIC:

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 14 Jun 2020 19:54 #828201

• DeLoreanDMC81
  • DeLoreanDMC81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey everyone!

I just had a question to throw out, I bought a 2002 Kawasaki KZ1000P and the Pursuit lights aren't working like they should.

When you flip the switch to the M and P spots, the lights only come on and stay on.

I know the lights are supposed to alternate back and forth between the two.

The only reason I bought the bike is because I'm a huge fan of Terminator 2, and it's the bike the T-1000 drives. So this is used mostly for Comic-Con stuff.

Anyway, I was just curious as to why the lights are working like they should. I guess I should be thankful that they come on, I just want them flashing like they are supposed to.

Any help is greatly appreciated at figuring it out.

Thanks so much!

James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 15 Jun 2020 07:23 #828227

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
In a KZ1000P wiring diagram there's a pursuit relay, so that would be a good place to start. I did not see any other electronic components in the pursuit circuit. The link below has a couple of diagrams and one of them has a short explanation of the pursuit relay.

cyclepsycho.com/kz1000p/kz1000p.html

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 15 Jun 2020 08:28 #828239

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I am thinking there must be another diagram for a Kz1000P. That diagram only shows an On/Off switch for pursuit. So they are either off, or alternately flashing. I wish there was an indication for which years are covered by that diagram.

Like Martin said,, there is a pursuit relay. On the diagram linked to, the pursuit relay gets 12v from the pursuit switch through the green/white wire. Then the pursuit relay alternates the power to the left and right lights through black wires.

So the relay is really more of a "flasher" with just 3 pins.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 15 Jun 2020 10:29 #828253

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1953
Im thinking like all the police and fire vehicles I have ever been involved with , they dont come with flashers ( wig-wags )
from the factory.
Only prepped......
When we locally got a new police bike the bike was sent to a outfitter who would add the radios, lights , and sirens
The parts you seek are readily available at police / Fire supply houses and online.
Try GALLS .. Thats who I used to use. They have everything needed 10 fold
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 21 Jun 2020 17:35 #828625

• Setton
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Wig-Wag is illegal for civilians in most jurisdictions. Before your bike was decommissioned, most likely the pursuit lights were civilianized for use as spot lights or fog lights by removing the flasher relay. You're going to have to find a new wig wag flasher relay if you want to restore t hat functionality.

BTW, you want my number to text me, you can message me and I'll be able to answer loads of questions about the P. Your bike is practically identical to mine despite 14 years difference. They mainly only changed some aesthetic pieces and a few things regarding how the bags and rear turn signals mount to the rear crash bars, and a few other minor bits like that.
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 22 Jun 2020 09:13 #828670

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
So that diagram should be fine for basically 20+ years worth of bikes? Nice.

Kawasaki KZ 1000P Pursuit Lights Question 22 Jun 2020 14:02 #828683

• Setton
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15

loudhvx wrote: So that diagram should be fine for basically 20+ years worth of bikes? Nice.

Exactamundo. But bear in mind, police departments love to do custom mods... I have 3 front cowlings for the P, and all 3 of them were wired a bit differently. One had a rocker switch to enable steadyburn on the pursuit lights. Another had two toggle switches that look to have been hooked up to separate TOMAR Rect34 take down flashers, probably on their own. The bulbs and lenses were removed from the TOMAR Rect-34 housings but the wiring and housings remained. The third was pretty much stock and is the model of cowling that has the cowling mounted mirrors, and it's the one I'm using now. So I have 4 mirrors now. Using the cowling mirrors as blind spot mirrors.

The third one I used a hole saw and installed marine grade USB 3.0 charge ports and a 12volt socket... Should be fairly obvious as to why on both. I don't like cutting holes in antique things, but I got sick of weather always ruining my handle bar mounted charge ports.
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Last edit: by Setton.
  • Page: