Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ550c Engine will turn over but not getting a spark 29 May 2020 16:27 #826883

• KTMturnedKawi
  • KTMturnedKawi's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey guys, Im restoring an 82 KZ550c and the wiring is a complete mess. I managed to get power to the starter button but while the engine turns over there is no spark at the spark plug. is there something Im missing or is there an issue further down the electrical?

Any help would be appreciated as I am new to anything more in depth than general dirt bike maintenance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ550c Engine will turn over but not getting a spark 29 May 2020 17:55 #826892

• calum
  • User
  • Thank you received: 390
Not familiar with the 550 but I would start but checking you're getting power to the coils when the ignition is on. If there's power, then it's leads, plugs, igniter or ignition/pick-ups (probably not leads or plugs if there's no spark on any of the cylinders). If not, then you need to check for continuity from the kill switch to the coils (and igniter).

Last edit: by calum.

KZ550c Engine will turn over but not getting a spark 14 Jun 2020 13:32 #828173

• 2WheelJunky
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Like calum said, check power going to the coils first. I would also check that your points are gapped and timed correctly while you’re at it... There are plenty of YouTube videos on how to test coils, but I’ve only done it on my 650, I assume the 550 is similar.

It could be something as dumb as the solder connection on the coil breaking off, I was riding and all the sudden lost power, sounded like it was running on two cylinders. Got the bike trailered home with a friend and as I was checking the wires, I noticed the tab on the front of the coil had no wire connected to it! Soldered it back on and it was good as new.
‘79 KZ650SR
‘80 KD80
‘00 KL250 Super Sherpa

KZ550c Engine will turn over but not getting a spark 14 Jun 2020 16:45 #828186

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That year 550 should have electronic ignition, so no points to check. Take off the little cover on the right side to make sure you have the ignition pickups and rotor. Also, locate the igniter to make sure you have that.

If you follow the links in my signature, you'll find several pdf manuals. You should download all of them.

• Page: