Starter not responding

More
21 May 2020 21:39 #826312 by MartyZ1000
Starter not responding was created by MartyZ1000
So I just replaced the stator Ok on my kz1000 1983, bike is running great and charging fine.
Then after a run to the countryside place the Run switch does nothing, dead as a Monty Python parrot.
Not even a solenoid click. So I just wanted to check the measuring pass on this, would you start at the battery?
What´s your recommended routine on this?
The starter itself has been working perfectly and solderings/connections in kill switch and lamp all look ok, nothing broken or unconnected.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 May 2020 05:53 #826326 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Starter not responding
I am an ameture at these things, but the battery is where I would start the investigation. A dead cell can cause the symptoms you describe. Besides, if there is a problem with the battery, any other readings you take are going to be misleading.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
22 May 2020 05:57 - 22 May 2020 06:10 #826327 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Starter not responding
Oops, I forgot to ask if any lights come on when you turn the key. If not, then I would put the main fuse second on my list of suspects. Next I would probably look at the ignition switch.

If other electrical things are getting power, and the battery tests ok (test under load), then I would focus on the wiring and switches involved with the starter. That could include the kill switch, starter button, ignition switch, clutch lever or side stand safety switch, and related wiring.
If all that tested ok, I would probably roll it out into the yard and set fire to it, but a more sensible next step would be to come here and ask for help from one of the members that actually understand electricity. :whistle:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
Last edit: 22 May 2020 06:10 by TexasKZ.