Slimming down wiring harness question.

More
18 May 2020 19:29 #826055 by Peanuthead
Slimming down wiring harness question. was created by Peanuthead
So I'm in the process of finishing up my 82 KZ440 and have a few questions about the wiring harness. Will I have any problems if I eliminate the distance sensor in the speedo and self cancelling turn signal switch? What problems will I have if I eliminate the kill switch on the bars too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2020 07:00 - 19 May 2020 11:31 #826076 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Slimming down wiring harness question.
I don't think you'll have any problems with the wiring, but I would keep the kill switch. Here's a KZR link that might be helpful:

Simplified wiring diagrams by loudhvx. KZR topic >> bare bones for mattylight >> Pg 1
a few of the diagrams may be missing. pages 11-on seem to have the most diagrams. Using an internet search, there's an 81 440 on pg 31. I did not look for any more.
Last edit: 19 May 2020 11:31 by martin_csr.

More
19 May 2020 11:35 #826091 by Peanuthead
Replied by Peanuthead on topic Slimming down wiring harness question.
Thanks a lot! I found one on a later page that has turn signals since I plan on running those.

More
20 May 2020 19:39 - 20 May 2020 19:41 #826199 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Slimming down wiring harness question.

Peanuthead wrote: Ok, here's the breakdown. Engine is a chain drive 82, it came out of an 82 frame (badges and vin said 82 A3 LTD), it's now sitting in an 81 frame.

I'm posting here so we don't fill up the mattylight thread with questions about a specific bike.

Have you taken the small ignition cover off? What was underneath? Points or electronic ignition?
It should have been electronic, but then do you have the igniter?
Last edit: 20 May 2020 19:41 by loudhvx.

More
20 May 2020 20:45 #826202 by Peanuthead
I agree, and thanks in advance for the help. I haven't taken the cover off yet but I did see the igniter box.

More
21 May 2020 07:27 #826220 by loudhvx
Ok, then assuming it has electronic ignition, the 1980 diagram won't be sufficient since it has points. I'll have to check a few diagrams to see if there are other significant differences, especially in the charging system.

So the diagram you want will include charging system, start system, ignition, headlight, tail light, brake light and turn signals.
No horn? I'll add it in case.

More
21 May 2020 07:44 #826224 by Peanuthead

loudhvx wrote: Ok, then assuming it has electronic ignition, the 1980 diagram won't be sufficient since it has points. I'll have to check a few diagrams to see if there are other significant differences, especially in the charging system.

So the diagram you want will include charging system, start system, ignition, headlight, tail light, brake light and turn signals.
No horn? I'll add it in case.

You are awesome dude! Yes, all those please. Does there have to be anything special for the key to be the kill switch or just turning the key to off position work?

More
21 May 2020 08:07 - 21 May 2020 08:23 #826231 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Slimming down wiring harness question.
I know he's going to provide a complete diagram for you, but just an FYI: the KZ750M/K Twin models have the same ignition system as the KZ440s w electronic ignition >> same ignition coil, pulsing coil & igniter. but a different timing advancer as the timing curve is different. There's a 750-M1 wiring diagram on pg 17 of that bare bones topic. in case you want to get a head start on wiring the ignition system.

ps: you should clean, check & lubricate the timing advancer. get a new pulsing coil gasket beforehand. I keep several of those gaskets on hand.
Last edit: 21 May 2020 08:23 by martin_csr.

More
21 May 2020 08:49 #826236 by loudhvx
You can leave the kill switch off. It's just a safety thing... in case you have to simultaneously use the front brake while trying to turn the engine off, like in case the throttle gets stuck open. Electrically, the ignition switch is enough to kill the bike, and the ignition switch is usually higher quality than the the kill switch.

If you want to leave off the kill switch, just replace the switch in the diagram with a wire. You still need the kill/start assembly for the starter button, unless you are asking if the ignition switch can be replaced with something like a car ignition switch.

As a side note, you might have a big turn signal switch assembly if you have the auto-cancelling turn signals. It's bulky, so if you want you can replace that with a smaller one from just about any Kz.

More
21 May 2020 09:05 - 21 May 2020 09:09 #826243 by Peanuthead
Yes I do have that big bulky switch. I'm replacing it with a universal turn switch. And no I'm not using a car ignition. Here's a picture of the cluster I made with all the headlight switch, power plug (for USB), start button, and ignition.
Attachments:
Last edit: 21 May 2020 09:09 by Peanuthead.

More
21 May 2020 09:45 #826251 by loudhvx
Cool. What's the toggle switch for?

More
21 May 2020 09:52 #826252 by Peanuthead
That is the headlight switch. Its an On-Off-On switch.