Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

{K}Z200 confusion 25 May 2020 11:07 #826492

• Peter uk
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Hello Mobuzz
Looking at the photographs your bike engine is a 1982-A5 model and your frame number KZ200A-045903 confirms this. From 1981 to 1983 in the UK the Z200 had a transistor ignition system.
I have attach a file of a KZ200 service manual and the information you need is in the supplement at the back of the book. Hope this helps and there is amply spares floating around.
One word of advice concerning parts is that part-numbers for an item have been superseded with new ones over the years, so the part number for a cylinder head over the years has change four times.
You will find that some engine parts from other models like Z250C, Z250LTD, KL250, KLX250, KLT200 and KLT250 are interchangeable.
I wish you luck with your project. Peter from the UK.
I cannot seem to download the file, but here are some pages to be getting on with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx, martin_csr, Mobuzz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

{K}Z200 confusion 26 May 2020 19:56 #826621

• Mobuzz
  • Mobuzz's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Oh wow, thank you! At last things look familiar! I appreciate the assistance!.
KZ200 '79/'82
79 with a points ignition system rebuilt to 82's electronics

{K}Z200 confusion 04 Jun 2020 08:24 #827290

• Mobuzz
  • User
So, getting on with it. Found a 6 pin CDI from a guy who owns a bike repairs shop. He took it off a Suzuki, he's confident I can get 5 pins working from it. It's a bit of a struggle finding parts locally and US/UK prices are absurd. I still need to find front brake pads. I'd prefer to convert to hydraulilc to save future hassles with pad replacements. I read somewhere there is a Yamaha 125 model which could work. I'll keep digging. It'll be a work in progress. Now to just get wiring done and try the CDI out and hope for the best.
KZ200 '79/'82
Attachments:

Last edit: by Mobuzz.

{K}Z200 confusion 06 Jun 2020 06:55 #827431

• Peter uk
  • User
H

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

ello Mobuzz
Good to see that the bike is coming along and it is looking good. Regarding the brake calliper conversion to hydraulics, the last model of the Z200 the A6 was equipped with a hydraulic front brake. I have not seen an A6 in the UK but this is an avenue you can take if you wish to have bolt on parts. This said, you will have to change the hole front end because the outer tube of the fork is different on the A6 model. The only hydraulic brake calliper conversion I have seen are with a bracket bolted to the fork and then to the calliper. I would be interested to know if you found a calliper which will bolt on.
Attachments:

{K}Z200 confusion 10 Jun 2020 00:09 #827734

• Mobuzz
  • User
So I got it running. Starting it makes a squeeling noise. Perhaps the starter motor needs to be redone. The clucth doesnt disengage well, I'll keep adjusting. I read somewhere here that there might only be 5 friction plates as opposed to 6? The clutch looks more like the KLR250 than a KZ200, mechanics-wise. I've tried getting the carb serviced, all mechanics gave me some silly story or excuse why it wasnt or couldnt be done, so it's not idling well. The front brake alternative continues, because I cant figure out putting the original one back together. drive.google.com/file/d/1nVdjOBAV0kb1KyL...jbZ/view?usp=sharing
KZ200 '79/'82

{K}Z200 confusion 16 Jun 2020 09:40 #828291

• Peter uk
  • User
Hello Mobuzz
Had a look at your vid, and I think that your starter clutch needs looking at. One of your rollers is sticking, and your clutch friction plates and steel plates are sticking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mobuzz

{K}Z200 confusion 16 Jun 2020 10:51 #828294

• Mobuzz
  • User
Thank you, I suspected it might be that if not ther starter itself, which I've opened and found in quite a sorry state. I've ordered new pins and rollers for the clutch and a rebuild kit for the starter, from the States. The clutch plates will also need to be ordered from somewhere eventually. They're not bad. I found that they tend to stick more at lower rpms which is due to the carb also not being in top shape. I've got my work cut out for me there as I've managed to totally rip through the fuel mixture pilot screw's top, trying to adjust running/idling. I actually tried to get it out completely but it sticks solidly just before the top comes out of the hole. Off to the tool shop for me.
KZ200 '79/'82

{K}Z200 confusion 15 Jul 2020 08:30 #830723

• Mobuzz
  • User
So far....I bought a 50cm braded brake hose (it's too long just in case) and master cylinder for Honda TRX250, universal would work I guess and front brake caliper for the Yamaha YBR125. The caliper lines up well but the bracket needs alteration. I drilled and tapped a new hole halfway down the right side of the bracket which then goes to the top hole of the original mounting. I intend to have a piece welded to the bottom of the bracket to line up with the bottom mounting. Just not sure what metal the caliper bracket is made of. Dont want to start welding and screw it up totally, myself, I'm a newbie welder. . I'll have that done professionally. At the moment a 10mm bolt and two spring washers are holding it well firm in place. I'm just worried there would be too much tension on just the one mounting for it to hold indefinitely. As for the carburetor, I installed a Yamaha YFS blaster 200 carb, after enlarging the intake mounting. I cant find suitable fittings in this damn city. When I get the bike runnning, it idles and runs reasonably well. I just have badly leaking valve stem seals which foul up the plug very quickly, causing the bike to run poorly just a few minutes into running. I figured out that the squeel when starting up is the starter motor. I'm waiting for a rebuild kit from ebay to be delivered here, but our customs office is closed due to Covid infections. I've removed the starter innards as well as the starter clutch. Kicking gets it going, but when it dies due to the plug fouling, its hell to get it going again without first cleaning the plug. All the kicking just pointed out how damn unfit I am. I need to buy a tool to remove the valve seals. Anything specific I should look for that would be suitable for the job?
KZ200 '79/'82

{K}Z200 confusion 15 Jul 2020 08:47 #830728

• Mobuzz
  • User
Also, before removing the starter clutch gear, I noticed it moved in and out quite a bit. I dont see a spacer or washer on the diagram that goes between it and the case. It did cause the starter chain to catch the case, perhaps also the cause of the squeal. Is there a spacer missing or could the flywheel not have been all the way home? I definately couldnt turn the nut tighter. If Im not mistaken, the flywheel is off another model when I transferred the electronics from the newer bike to change the bike from points to CDI. I'm using a GN250 CDI btw, if I didnt mention that before
KZ200 '79/'82

{K}Z200 confusion 03 Mar 2023 13:31 #881055

• jphempstead@gmail.com
  • User
Hiya Peter, I just wanted to thank you for posting these images and information! I had the exact same experience, could not find a manual out here in Australia that had this information. I am rebuilding my kz200 engine and thought I was going mad that I had lost the advanced timing unit… but my guy said it was never there… there was no confirmation anywhere until I see these images! Great stuff! Thank you! 

I do have one question that is still niggling at me, I have a spare oil seal that I really could not for the life of me find it’s home… put the one on the lay shaft, put one on the clutch push rod shaft and put one on the gear selector shaft. That is all the oil seals I can see. My left over one is 20mm internal and 35 external, and 5 mm thick. It’s a 1981 z200 in Australia.
if there is any info in the manual you were looking at that could shine a light on my situation that would be so so appreciated!
kind regards joe 

{K}Z200 confusion 03 Mar 2023 14:26 #881056

• Nerdy
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 378
Be sure to check the dates on the messages to which you're replying: that one is almost three years old.

"Peter uk" has not logged in for over two years, so you probably won't get a response from him. (You can click on a user's name to see the last login date.)
1979 KZ400 Gifted to a couple of nephews
1967 Yamaha YCS1 Bonanza
1980 KZ440B
1981 Yamaha XT250H
1981 KZ440 LTD project bike
1981 GPz550
2013 Yamaha FZ6R