• Page:

TOPIC:

KZ1000p Hazard Lights 20 Apr 2020 11:16 #823734

• 09marty
  • 09marty's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
My Hazards have not been working on my 2001 KZ1000p so I finally tried to fix it. I have verified that the relay is good as I can manually get the hazard to work by connecting the output of the relay to the turn signal wires. I have attached some pictures of the hazard switch as this is where I have determined that things are going wrong. The connection with the arrow is the input from the relay and the one without the arrow is the output of the switch that goes to the rear turn signals. For the life of me, I can not figure out if this is wired incorrectly or not. There are three other connections on the switch that are not used. I tried grounding two of them to no success, as you can tell by the unique soldering job I did. Any help would be appreciated. Here is a link to the wiring diagram that I am having problems figuring out as well.
cyclepsycho.com/kz1000p/kz1000p.html
-Thanks a lot!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by 09marty.

KZ1000p Hazard Lights 30 Jun 2020 18:59 #829475

• Setton
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Are you sure it's the switch? The hazard relay passes through a fuse that's often removed when they decommission the bike. In fact, the entire box the fuse is in is often removed (though it's present on mine, but missing the fuse). I replaced the fuse and the switch works fine now.

Also, don't use that wiring diagram. It's valid, but it's also a sorry mess. I recommend getting the Clymer manual. If you get that manual, the KZ1000P wiring harness is just a few pages from the very end. You can find it on Amazon and Ebay, brand new.
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.

KZ1000p Hazard Lights 30 Jun 2020 20:28 #829480

• F64
  • User
  • 81-KZ440D2
  • Thank you received: 350
Your switch is missing a solid orange wire.
The two orange with green stripe wires are correct for the hazard circuit.
The orange wire will be in the 9 wire connector within the red box on the attached image.

Actually, check this first. There is a white wire with a blue stripe. Check and see if you have 12v on this wire.
This may be the circuit that Setton was talking about as it ties into a 10 amp fuse located near the battery.
81-KZ440-D2.
Louis Dudzik's GM HEI ignitor conversion installed 2015 s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Motogadget m-unit blue installed 2017.
LIC, NY
Attachments:

Last edit: by F64.

KZ1000p Hazard Lights 02 Jul 2020 13:45 #829625

• Setton
  • User
  • Thank you received: 15
Yeah, F64's diagram s hows the fuse I'm talking about on the wire he highlighted, coming right off the battery. It's in under the seat, above the battery, in a "loose box". By "loose box" I mean that it's not a part of the fuse box and it's not bolted down to anything. One of the wires is the accessory wire and the other is the hazard relay wire.

Not all of the Ps still have it after decomissioning, because like I said, they tend to do butcher jobs and get over-zealous when removing stuff, and it LOOKS like an aftermarket box just hanging out under the seat, so it often gets cut out during decommissioning.

It's a little black plastic box with just a couple wires going in one end and I forget if it's 1 or 2 wires going out the other, but two of the wires coming out are white with blue stripe like he said. The box is easy to open and there should be two fuses in it. One for the hazard relay and one for the front fairing accessory wire.

If you need I can take a photo of mine. Just right now I have the bike all wrapped up because the alternator cover is off and waiting for a new rotor, and it'll be a bit of a pain to undo that, but I can if you need.
KZs I own
1982 KZ750-H3 LTD (frame's bent, no longer rideable, RIP)
1982 KZ1100 LTD Shaft (thought it was a Spectre)
1988 KZ1000 Police
1989 KZ1000 Police (basket case)
2002 KZ1000 Police

Non-KZs:
1983 Hondamatic 450
2001 Honda Rebel

I don't understand soup. Put a flower on my nose.

Last edit: by Setton.
  • Page: