1981 KZ305 Ignition help

More
16 Apr 2020 10:26 #823493 by Stingray812
1981 KZ305 Ignition help was created by Stingray812
I am currently working on getting a KZ305 up and running. It has the old points style ignition and my question is: Are there any options for converting this to an electronic ignition? It seems that everywhere I look the only Kawasaki options are for the larger 4 cylinder bikes (KZ750, 1000, etc.) and the only twin cylinder options are for Triumphs, Harleys, Indians, etc. I'm not necessarily opposed to keeping the points but it seems that those are bit hard to find as well. I have read that you can take the ignition off a KZ440 ('82 and later) since it was an "electronic" type ignition. As luck would have it I have one of those but unfortunately the bike did not come with any of the ignition components and they seem almost impossible to find as well.
I'm pretty new to the motorcycle world and this is the first bike I've done any real wrenching on so excuse my ignorance but it seems that since the 305 is a dual fire ignition a system that works with the 4 cylinders would work. I'm guessing it won't because the timing is completely different? Any help/guidance/ wisdom/education would be greatly appreciated.

1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ305
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2020 12:29 - 16 Apr 2020 12:35 #823498 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 1981 KZ305 Ignition help
The 305 is a 180-degree crank twin. (Pistons move up and down opposite of each other.)
The 400/440 is a 360-degree crank twin. (Pistons move up and down together in unison.)

You are correct in that the 305 points ignition, on the surface, resembles that of an inline-four Kz. The most obvious difference is that the coils only fire one plug at a time, rather than two at a time like on the fours.

The crankshaft, based on the parts diagram for the cam tensioner, also turns the same direction as the inline fours. That is, the same direction as the wheels. (The 360 degree twins turn in the opposite direction of the wheels.)

However, the big difference on the 305 ignition, compared to the inline fours, is that the points are mounted and operated by the camshaft. On the fours they are mounted and operated by the crankshaft. This makes a big difference on where the points are mounted relevant to each other.

On the inline fours, the rubbing blocks for the two sets of points are 180 degrees apart.
On the Kz 305 twin, the rubbing blocks for the two sets of points are 90 degrees apart.

So unfortunately, you can't use an ignition from the inline-fours, nor can you use an ignition from the 360-crank twins (400/440/750).

The closest ignition to your bike would be a Honda CB 350 which is also a 180-crank twin. It uses points that are offset by 90 degrees and are mounted to the camshaft.

Your best bet would be to find an aftermarket ignition for the CB350/360/450/500 twins of the late 60's and 70's. You might be able to adapt that to the 305.

Another option would be to recondition the points and use a pair of HEI modules as boosters. This will eliminate points wear and greatly reduce the maintenance needed on the points. Basically you would only have to periodically clean and lube them.

This project also has the benefit of automatically shutting down the ignition system in case you leave the switch on with the engine not running.

You would need one circuit for each set of points.
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZhei7pinModForPoints.html
Last edit: 16 Apr 2020 12:35 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stingray812

More
16 Apr 2020 12:38 #823500 by Stingray812
Replied by Stingray812 on topic 1981 KZ305 Ignition help
Wow, great info! This clears up some of the confusion and mystery. I will definitely look into this. Thanks so much for the help!

1981 Kawasaki KZ440 LTD
1981 Kawasaki KZ305