Wiring removal, the simplest way

More
14 Apr 2020 10:48 #823338 by Bobdudeman
Wiring removal, the simplest way was created by Bobdudeman
Whatever noon everyone. I'm new to this forum. I've recently purchased a 1978 KZ650 Cafe racer. Since I would love to use it to take my wife for rides I would like to go towards more of the brat/scrambler style. I would like to change the headlight, get rid of the button controls on the handlebars battery etc. Since this has the magneto charging system can anybody give me the easiest way to remove all the extra garbage. I know that they are purists that will say I should keep the battery but I'd really like to just strip everything out and give it a simple style. I have changed the handlebars, ordered a different headlight and a brat style seat as well as a weld on back hoop.

Attachment not found

Thank you all for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2020 11:25 #823346 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Wiring removal, the simplest way
You will want to make sure the bike runs perfectly and starts on the first or second kick everytime before removing the battery. Removing the battery will only make it more difficult to start.

There are some changes you have to make to go without a battery.

The 78 Kz650 charging system came with a 4-wire combo regulator/rectifier. If you are still using that, you don't have to modify that unit. If you install a later reg/rec that uses a brown sense line, then that brown wire should be tied to the output wire of the reg/rec.

The battery should be replaced with a 5000 micro-farad to 10,000 micro-farad capacitor rated at about 50v.

The wiring must be altered so the headlight, tail light, marker lights, and gauge lights can all be turned off while starting. Then after the motor is started, you rev it and turn on the lights. This is because the lights act like a dead short for about 1/2 second before they heat-up, light-up and their resistance increases. I recommend a relay circuit to automatically shut off the lights whenever the engine stops. Then a trigger button (maybe use the start button) is used to activate the relay after the bike is running.

The stock points ignition should work ok if it's in good condition. A Dyna S might not work well with going batteryless since it uses a lot of power.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bobdudeman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.