Diagnostic manual for DynaTech

More
13 Apr 2020 21:11 #823286 by ob1jeeper
Diagnostic manual for DynaTech was created by ob1jeeper
Have owned this '76 900LTD-B for about 2 years, and 2000-ish miles. Started it today to go for a ride, and let it warm while I donned jacket, helmet & gloves. Climed aboard, and as soon as the kickstand came up, it died as if the ignition had been shut off.

Was unable to get it to refire. So, first things first. Check for fuel, then spark... Double checked the petcock to ensure I had fuel turned on (good to go there), so pulled it back in the shop, and checked fuel bowls. All were filled with fuel. Pulled a spark plug and check for spark... BINGO, it's not getting spark, should be an easy fix to clean/reset points... Or so I thought.

When I pulled the cover, to my surprise, there were no points ! ! ! Instead I found a hall effects devise with the name DynaTech - Glendora, CA. stenciled in white on the magnets. Oops... I have no diagnostic manual for it, and their website indicates that information is no longer available for download.

Sent them an email, and am hoping for a response, but if anyone has that diagnostic guide and is willing to share, it would be MUCH appreciated...

Thanks, Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2020 12:30 #823351 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
Is this what your looking for? If not please post photos.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, ob1jeeper

More
14 Apr 2020 21:20 #823397 by ob1jeeper
Replied by ob1jeeper on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
EXACTLY what I needed... Thanks much. With this info, I hope to get it sorted tomorrow... ;)

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
15 Apr 2020 08:15 - 15 Apr 2020 08:19 #823415 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
Just to add some more here is their testing info

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Apr 2020 08:19 by gd4now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: slmjim+Z1BEBE, Mikaw, ob1jeeper

More
15 Apr 2020 11:10 #823429 by ob1jeeper
Thanks again for your help... ;)

More
15 Apr 2020 20:59 #823459 by ob1jeeper
Thanx to Mikaw & gd4now assisting with providing diagnostic information, this was a "relatively" easy fix.

Turns out the cheap-ass "push-lock /scotch-lock" lost contact... This is IMHO & experience, a "significantly less than robust" design for a product which relies upon such a P-poor method of obtaining the needed 12v for thier ignition system to work. :(

I am VERY disappointed in the method chosen, for a 12V ignition-on signal, by the manuf. for such a critical function. :( AND am happy as hell that it did not leave me stranded 100 (or more) miles from home, like it would have, if it hadn't failed in my driveway before I got on my way...

That said, this design flaw WILL NOT be the cause for any further ignition failures, as it's now "hard-wired" (soldered) in place...

The proper solution for the manufacturer, would have been to make a "plug-and-play" harness to pick up an ignition-on 12V signal... Rant over.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

More
15 Apr 2020 23:03 #823463 by Mikaw
Replied by Mikaw on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
Good to hear. I eliminated that scotch lock connection on mine also.

1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ob1jeeper

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
16 Apr 2020 06:47 #823484 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
Hate scotch-locks with a passion.

There are those few times however, that one must splice into a conductor where there's no practical way to crimp or solder.

slmjim was introduced to Posi-Taps in the copier/printer tech field, where logic-signaling voltages and currents are sometimes vanishingly tiny, necessitating bulletproof splicing to maintain circuit integrity. Field modifications released by manufacturers the likes of HP, Kyocera, et al often included Posi-Loc splices in the mod kit. Never had a problem with a Posi-Loc splice. Can't say the same of scotch-lock wirecutte..., er, splices.
www.posi-products.com/index.html

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw, ob1jeeper

More
19 Apr 2020 19:38 - 19 Apr 2020 19:42 #823701 by ob1jeeper
Thanks for the link to those splicer/tap hardware. Will order a few, for those time, when time, or being away from proper equipment limits doing it with hard-soldered connections... ;)

For my repair, I actually converted the Dynatech wiring to a "plug & play" style, by simply soldering up a "T" in thier wiring, which then simply plugged into one of the two ignitions sources for the coils... Should anyone ever wish to convert it back to OEM points, or upgrade to later model hall-effects ignition, it would be a simple matter of unplugging it, and installing the desired system. The bonus is that I KNOW the "wire cutter" devise will NEVER cause me to loose spark again... ;)
Last edit: 19 Apr 2020 19:42 by ob1jeeper.

More
20 Apr 2020 05:33 #823710 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
Is that still the suggested method that Dynatech uses for attaching those wires? I would be surprised if it is. Scotch-Loks were a boon to mechanics when they were introduced back in the early 1970's. There was nothing else on the market to compare with them and we used them a lot because it was an easy method of splicing wires compared to cutting and soldering. Heat shrink tubing was unheard of. The problem with Scotch-Loks started when guys used the wrong sizes or failed to seal them from water or moisture damage or worse yet used them in the wrong application. Time marches on and much better ways of wire splicing devices came out along with ways of protecting the splice. Think of it this way, drum brakes worked okay, but they were left behind when disc brakes were introduced.
Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1

More
20 Apr 2020 12:00 - 20 Apr 2020 21:25 #823737 by ob1jeeper

Rick H. wrote: Is that still the suggested method that Dynatech uses for attaching those wires? I would be surprised if it is. Scotch-Loks were a boon to mechanics when they were introduced back in the early 1970's. There was nothing else on the market to compare with them and we used them a lot because it was an easy method of splicing wires compared to cutting and soldering. Heat shrink tubing was unheard of. The problem with Scotch-Loks started when guys used the wrong sizes or failed to seal them from water or moisture damage or worse yet used them in the wrong application. Time marches on and much better ways of wire splicing devices came out along with ways of protecting the splice. Think of it this way, drum brakes worked okay, but they were left behind when disc brakes were introduced.
Rick H.

Sadly the instructions I recieved when I contacted Dynatech tech-support about needing install & diagnostic instructions on a unit discovered in a motorcycle I had purchased used, do indeed still show that the push-lock is provided with the system, thus remains one of the recommended methods. They do go on to indicate words to the effect that "other 12V-ignition source attach methods are acceptable". When I read that they supplied a push-lock / scotch-lok in the kit, I was 99.99% sure that when I found where it was installed, that it would prove to be the culprit, and sure enough, that is what I discovered...

When I emailed the tech, who procided me the requested information, of my findings, his response was that he personally had installed several of thier ignition systems, but NEVER would use the "push-lock" provided in the kits, as he did not trust them. :pinch:
Last edit: 20 Apr 2020 21:25 by ob1jeeper.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rick H.

More
20 Apr 2020 12:40 #823743 by Rick H.
Replied by Rick H. on topic Diagnostic manual for DynaTech
Well isn't that quite interesting????

Rick H.

Rick H.

1977 Kawasaki KZ-1000A1