Digital Speed Sensor with Mechanical Speedometer

More
14 Mar 2020 13:36 #820913 by mbcustom
Hello,
I am adapting the forks and rims of a Ducati Monster to my KZ750.
I would like to keep the original Kawasaki (mechanical) speedometer, while Ducati has the digital sensor.
Is there a converter to transform the sensor signal into mechanical rotation?
Can someone who has already adapted different rims give me a suggestion or explain to me how he managed to solve the problem of the speedometer?
If you have other, even different solutions, they are welcome.
thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2020 17:20 - 14 Mar 2020 17:20 #820922 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Digital Speed Sensor with Mechanical Speedometer
I never heard of anyone doing this, but from a quick search >> Speedhut Speedbox .
If this is unsuitable, then there may be something else out there. Good luck.

internet search = digital to mechanical speedometer.
other searches: motorcycle digital to mechanical speedometer. motorcycle electrical to mechanical speedometer converter
Last edit: 14 Mar 2020 17:20 by martin_csr.

More
15 Mar 2020 04:04 #820939 by mbcustom

martin_csr wrote: I never heard of anyone doing this, but from a quick search >> Speedhut Speedbox .
If this is unsuitable, then there may be something else out there. Good luck.

internet search = digital to mechanical speedometer.
other searches: motorcycle digital to mechanical speedometer. motorcycle electrical to mechanical speedometer converter

Thanks, I had already done these searches on the internet finding that converter.
Since many people change rims at the KZ, I would like to know how they manage the speedometer (even if the mechanism is on the wheel, the rotation should be different)

More
15 Mar 2020 05:43 - 15 Mar 2020 05:50 #820945 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Digital Speed Sensor with Mechanical Speedometer
By mbcustom: .... (even if the mechanism is on the wheel, the rotation should be different).

Not sure what you mean by that & it doesn't matter here, but as long as the cable fits, then there shouldn't be a problem fitting a different mechanical drive wheel. Japanese speedometers are calibrated to spin 2240 revs per mile, same rate as the drive units at the wheel. I've compared a number of pinion & speedo drive gears from various models & done the math which is pretty straight forward.
Last edit: 15 Mar 2020 05:50 by martin_csr.