Stator strength / voltage regulator

More
11 Feb 2020 13:51 #819054 by Caleator
Stator strength / voltage regulator was created by Caleator
81 kz550 D-1

Recently replaced my main harness and looking to replace other electrical units too. I have not tested my current ones yet but id imagine they are bound to fail at some point.

I have an electrosport stator and regulator ready to go if my charging systems ever do fail, but they said this stator makes better charge than stock.

So I was wondering if having "too much" power from the stator a possible issue? I don't plan on adding any electrical additions, MAYBE a engine temp meter later in the future but probably nothing else other than that.

also what is the general opinion of the electrosport stuff? i've read some good things and read some bad things.

1981 Kawasaki GPZ550 (KZ550D-1)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2020 14:44 #819055 by daveo
Replied by daveo on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
OEM Genuine Kawasaki is best IMO. Pay now, or pay again sooner than later.

1982 KZ1100-A2

The following user(s) said Thank You: Caleator

More
11 Feb 2020 19:32 #819062 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
I wouldn't necessarily assume that the original electrical components will fail anytime soon. I've owned my 1977 KZ650-C1 since new, and the only component that has failed was the rectifier in 2012. I replaced that with a new one from oregonmotorcycleparts.com. Other than that, the other electrical components all still work perfectly fine, and I have no intention of replacing them unless they eventually fail. I have 62,000+ miles on the bike. If you are seriously considering replacing parts that are working I strongly suggest you test them first to see if they have any indication of problems. If they are working properly I wouldn't replace them since the new component may fail before the old one would. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: hardrockminer

More
11 Feb 2020 19:54 #819064 by Caleator
Replied by Caleator on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
thanks for the input, I need to test them, but also would like to invest in a better multimeter.

even so I don't think my charging system is bad really, just been having electrical issues. So just would like to have a replacement plan worst-case scenario. Just hate when my bike sits too long in-opperable. Trying to extend my knowledge on the electricals too.

More
12 Feb 2020 06:45 #819075 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
Just an FYI. A modern mosfet voltage regulator is another option. Nessism has posted about the SH775 type on several occasions. The SH775 are supposed to be an improvement over the earlier FH-type mosfets in that they help protect the stator. Good used should be readily available on EB from various different motorcycle models/mfgs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

More
12 Feb 2020 16:34 - 12 Feb 2020 16:36 #819123 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
The 1981 and later Kz550 stators and rotors are very robust. There have been very very few problems of these parts reported on KZrider over 20 years. Even the 1980 1-phase version has virtually no failure reports here. If there is an issue, it is much more likely to be wiring and/or the regulator, in that order. You can get a used Ninja250 or 500 regulator for like $10 that will work for decades.

The 40 year-old original reg/rec can fail in a way that it first seems to work, charging to 14 volts, then gradually, on a long ride, the battery voltage will slowly drop to 12 in which case the charging system is basically not doing anything. The only way to see this is to strap a voltmeter to the bike.
I've seen this happen on several 550's and the remedy of a used reg/rec from the early 2000's has worked like a charm.

The only issue is that you will have to splice connectors as the plugs are different. I prefer not to solder as that degrades the wiring and weakens the copper. I just use decent crimp connectors and never have a problem.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2020 16:36 by loudhvx.

More
13 Feb 2020 08:06 #819161 by Caleator
Replied by Caleator on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
I see, I'll still have to test it when the new battery eventually comes.

I'll definitely look into getting a backup regulator.

Is it worth holding onto the electrosport regulator and stator? or should I just return them. money is money, I just want whatever would be best for the health of my bike.

More
13 Feb 2020 09:06 - 13 Feb 2020 09:09 #819168 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Stator strength / voltage regulator
I don't see any reason for the aftermarket stator or reg/rec when factory parts are more reliable and cost pennys on the dollar. (speaking specifically of the 3-phase kz550 charge systems, and any 3-phase kaw factory charge system after 1983 or so)
Last edit: 13 Feb 2020 09:09 by loudhvx.