Ignition System CDI or TI

More
05 Feb 2020 10:40 #818661 by ken19
Ignition System CDI or TI was created by ken19
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis concerns a 2005 Kaw 1000P 24 Police. 80,000 miles.
The other day out riding it started to misfire? When I throttle up it would act up,,, sort of like being out of time. Steadily got worse, then died. No Start. Had to trailer it home. Next morning.... Checked fuel... good. Carbs had plenty fuel in bowls. Hit the starter, fired right up. Running it around the block a few times it started it again. So I am thinking the Sparker.

I go online and look for a replacement. I come across this Carmo Electronics CDI unit that claims to replace the correct Kaw Part number 21119-1354. I also see other units like Caltric that state 'CDI'. Now I am reasonably sure this bike has a TI ignition system and the book more or less says so as well.

Can anyone explain the confusion? Did Kawasaki put a CDI unit on some of these bikes

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2020 11:06 - 06 Feb 2020 07:25 #818668 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Ignition System CDI or TI
The problem could be the battery or the ignition coils. The motorcycle needs a good, fully charged battery to run right. I would charge the battery with a good motorcycle smart charger, then test it with a digital multimeter & do a load test. I use a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger & VC97 digital multimeter. I've had a couple of occasions when the battery caused running problems.

Ignition coils. There are resistance checks listed in the manual. You can test the ign coils, but you may need to heat them up w a heat gun beforehand, because sometimes they can test good cold, but still be bad. I had a similar problem to yours on my 81 KZ650-CSR & mine were very hot to the touch, so I installed green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils & Dyna spark plug wire set.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2020 07:25 by martin_csr.

More
05 Feb 2020 12:44 - 05 Feb 2020 12:49 #818675 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Ignition System CDI or TI
Yes, many companies incorrectly call the Kz ignitions CDI. There are very few actual KZ CDI ignitions and they are only found on the smallest Kz's like 250's and 305's. The rest, including the P bikes, are Transistorized, AKA kettering, AKA flyback, or sometimes ambiguously called inductive (even though CDI uses a coil and so is also inductive, in addition to having a capacitor).

$70 is a pretty good deal for a new igniter. The plastic box is different from what normally came on the older Kz's, so maybe someone is making them aftermarket?

You also can try to make one if you can find the right HEI modules:
s3.amazonaws.com/gpzweb/Ignition/GPZgmHEImod.html
Last edit: 05 Feb 2020 12:49 by loudhvx.

More
06 Feb 2020 07:15 #818700 by garylbishop
Replied by garylbishop on topic Ignition System CDI or TI
If you can rule out the battery/ battery charge I would suspect the resistor caps.

The coils are much less likely to go bad.

I've had to replace resistor caps when cylinders begin to drop out., usually at high rpm under load.

You may see spark when testing at cranking speed but once the engine is under load it will begin to miss.

They're not expensive. Plenty on eBay.

More
07 Feb 2020 07:35 #818751 by ken19
Replied by ken19 on topic Ignition System CDI or TI
Thanks everyone. As the coils are connected directly to battery I knew it was a TI system. I just thought some bikes were produced with CDI. I am new to Kaw products so wanted to ask those more familiar. Am thinking about a TCIP4 from Igntech. I had very good luck with them on a GL650 Honda Silverwing.