Where can I buy a new kz1000 ST wiring harness?

More
23 Jan 2020 15:29 #817700 by Mbendle
A 1979 KZ1000 ST fell into my hands, so I promptly took it apart. While the engine is being built up, etc, I think I might as well replace that 40 year old wiring harness. I see plenty of new harnesses for other KZ1000s, but not so much with the ST. What other models will have a harness similar enough to use?

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions y'all can offer.

-Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2020 07:20 - 24 Jan 2020 07:27 #817733 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Where can I buy a new kz1000 ST wiring harness?
Howdy. I don't know if anyone makes wire harnesses for the KZ1000E Shaft. From the cross-reference at Partzilla the 79 & 80 1000E1/E2 models had the same main harness. Searching the part numbers from partzilla, I did not see the main harness on EB, but there are a couple of the smaller sub-harnesses >> they are pricy, though. Unfortunately, partzilla and probably Kawasaki.com don't have a drawing of your harnesses.
I don't know how similar a different harness will be, but I would compare yours to various different models from the same year range, such as a KZ1000 MKII.

If you have to make a harness, Z1Enterprises.com has colored wire & connectors. CycleTerminal is another place w a good selection of connectors & related stuff, but no colored wire. For stock type crimps you would need an open barrel crimper >> the crimps are very strong. I already had a ratcheting crimper from HarborFreight, but the dies were wrong, so I got the correct die set off of amazon. The total cost was about the same as an open-barrel crimper available at Z1Ent or cycleterminal.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2020 07:27 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.