Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

LED flasher relays frying 03 Jan 2020 23:51 #816407

• Soarin
  • Soarin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
So I've changed my blinkers to led, even the tail light and so on. I left the regular bulbs in the speedo and turn signal indicators beside the key switch. My first set of led flasher relays lasted a while but fried after that while, put a different set on and same story but shorter life. I guess my questions are,do you guys think leaving the regular bulbs is causing the relays to fry? Should I swap those bulbs for led as well? Or did I mess something else up when the bike was welded on?
1981 Kawasaki Kz750h

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

LED flasher relays frying 04 Jan 2020 12:05 #816435

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
I have updated my flasher relay with an SHIN YO 3-pin universal flasher relay to work with my Motogadget m-Disk LED steering bar end flasher.
The SHIN YO flasher relay can handle regular bulbs and LED turn signal indicators and have a regulator to adjust the flasher frequencey!!!

SHIN YO 3-pin universal flasher relay
Flasher relay for a universal usage with an adjustable flasher frequency. Perfect for a combination with LED indicators and bulb indicators. Includes warning flasher.

Dimensions
Ø 37 mm
Height: 35 mm

Specifications and cable assignment
Voltage: 12 V
Load capacity: min. 5 mA ~ max. 15 A
Appliance: min. 0.06 W ~ 180 W max.

49 B = battery (12V +) incoming
31 G = ground (-)
49a L = light (indicator switch)

Will upload pics tomorrow of my new steering bar/flasher Setup.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soarin

Last edit: by Scirocco.

LED flasher relays frying 05 Jan 2020 08:15 #816475

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
Am all LED, expect for the speedo and tach illumination. Headlamp, directionals and drive lights, all four of them, plus tail lamp and brake lights...all LEDs and close to 10 years now, and am still running same electronic flasher relay, and it is an inexpensive garden variety type. Nothing expensive.. I did go LED with all the indicators on the dash, including the blinker indicator.

.....If it is a three-prong relay, those are 12VDC from ignition, Ground, and the wire to blinkers, and dash indicator from the directional switch, if regular incandescent, the dash indicators would tend to draw more current, still wouldn't think this would degrade the relay, but it is possible.

Last edit: by hugo.

LED flasher relays frying 28 Jan 2020 20:42 #818147

• Soarin
  • User
I've replaced the dash bulbs with led, however it's still frying the relay. Also can't seem to find a wiring diagram that matches my bike? My blinker switch has 7 wires going to it and every diagram I've found only showed 4.. Not to mention it has a turn signal operation unit that i have no clue what does or how to test. my hazard relay hasn't fried so it's the only one I have left. Is it possible for a turn signal to be grounded out and that would fry the relay?
1981 Kawasaki Kz750h

Last edit: by Soarin.

LED flasher relays frying 29 Jan 2020 05:15 #818155

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Soarin wrote: .................Also can't seem to find a wiring diagram that matches my bike?..............

PLEASE! Add your bike's year and exact model to your signature line! Kawasaki made KZ models ranging form single cylinder KZ200 bikes up to six cylinder KZ1300 bikes, and their various systems are not all the same. So if you want accurate help it is important that folks know what bike you are working on. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soarin

LED flasher relays frying 29 Jan 2020 06:47 #818160

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Just curious. Exactly what flashers are you installing? I would think a run-of-the-mill electro-mechanical flasher would work. Novita brand at the auto parts store. The stock flasher is a thermal unit.

Turn signal operating unit & Service Manual. There may be a pdf available for your motorcycle, whatever it is. To troubleshoot the turn signal operating unit, if you can't find a service manual specific to your motorcycle, you can probably use the manual from another model having the device. various models had the thing. Basically, the device works in conjunction with a distance sensor to turn off the turn signals after traveling xx meters. There's a good explanation in the 750-4 FSM.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

LED flasher relays frying 29 Jan 2020 14:28 #818190

• Soarin
  • User
I've been using cheap eBay flasher relays. It worked at first till the bike was welded on. Hazards, left and right, it worked perfect before the customization lol. But nothing on the harness seems fried. Maybe I otta just bite the bullet and go for a more expensive relay. Heres a picture of the relay guts as well.
1981 Kawasaki Kz750h
Attachments:

LED flasher relays frying 29 Jan 2020 15:31 #818195

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
42 Watt is to low for a flasher relay, buy the SHIN YO 3-pin and you are on the safe side with all Kind of bulbs you insert (180 Watt)!

www.biketeile-service.de/en/motorcyclepa...flasherrelay12v.html

Attachments:

Last edit: by Scirocco.

LED flasher relays frying 29 Jan 2020 15:35 #818196

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1858
I recently converted to all LED on my '78 1000 LTD. Here is the flasher I used. Although I haven't rode the bike sense install as its winter here. No durability testing yet.

www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/flasher...nic-flasher/779/833/
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

LED flasher relays frying 29 Jan 2020 15:56 #818197

• Soarin
  • User
Well everyone I got it fixed, all along it was just some wires touching. The wires leading to the rear lights assembly. Thank you all for your time and thoughts. I have a completely working kz again!!
And my little cheap relay wasn't ever the issue :)
1981 Kawasaki Kz750h
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

LED flasher relays frying 26 Jul 2022 15:46 #871082

• Feanor_twh
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9

I have updated my flasher relay with an SHIN YO 3-pin universal flasher relay to work with my Motogadget m-Disk LED steering bar end flasher.
The SHIN YO flasher relay can handle regular bulbs and LED turn signal indicators and have a regulator to adjust the flasher frequencey!!!

I bought the relay and it is very good, the problem comes when the engine starts; then the relay interval is completely crazy, it becomes like random, for return to its normal state when the engine is turned off.
It's a shame because this makes it dysfunctional. It is a KZ400, also with electronic rectifier/regulator. Has anyone else had the same thing happen?
(1976) Kawasaki KZ400-D3. All original, but: electronic reg/rec (Oregon Motorcycle Parts), new handlebar controls (w/ PASS/HORN/lights switch, LED dash lights (superbrightleds.com), Dynatek coil (3ohm), MAC mufflers, HEL brake hoses, rubber fork boots, 4.00 rear tyre (Dunlop K70), chromed chainguard

Last edit: by Feanor_twh.
  • Page: