Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Jump starting Motorcycle with car. 02 Jan 2020 12:09 #816315

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

loudhvx wrote: Jumping from a non-running car is ok.

Jumping from a running car is dependent on the type of alternator and regulator the bike has. If the bike has a permanent magnet alternator, and a shunt regulator, then jumping from a running car and leaving it connected can be a bad idea. The regulator will have to dissipate 100% of the bike's alternator power. It is not designed to do that for any extended amount of time and will cook. When the regulator stops regulating, and the bike is disconnected from the car, the voltage is uncontrolled and will start to blow bulbs and maybe damage ignition systems

Thank you! I know that you are extremely well versed when it comes to electrical systems! I tried finding a detailed explanation on this subject that I believe you may have given several years ago, but I was not successful. Jumping from a car that has the engine shut off should not hurt anything, but as you pointed out the amperage from a running car may damage the bike's electrical components. I know that this has happened to some in the past, but some refuse to accept it as fact; I just hope folks will pay attention to your advice as it is based on fact. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Jump starting Motorcycle with car. 02 Jan 2020 18:26 #816346

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Thanks Ed.

Jump starting Motorcycle with car. 03 Jan 2020 00:12 #816366

• Stu23
  • User
  • Thank you received: 9

loudhvx wrote: Jumping from a non-running car is ok.

Jumping from a running car is dependent on the type of alternator and regulator the bike has. If the bike has a permanent magnet alternator, and a shunt regulator, then jumping from a running car and leaving it connected can be a bad idea. The regulator will have to dissipate 100% of the bike's alternator power. It is not designed to do that for any extended amount of time and will cook. When the regulator stops regulating, and the bike is disconnected from the car, the voltage is uncontrolled and will start to blow bulbs and maybe damage ignition systems.

So to damage your bike you have to make two mistakes:

A ) have the car engine running
B ) leave the two running and connected long enough to overheat and fry the bike's regulator

Assuming the bike is only ticking over, it seems unlikely that it would be generating significant excess power compared with a continuous high speed run.

Either way... don't start the car and you'll be fine!

Last edit: by Stu23.