• Page:

TOPIC:

Kz 650 coil 78 29 Dec 2019 14:19 #816083

• piddlinhilger
  • piddlinhilger's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
So my bike has dyna s coils (green),
And One has gone bad. Do I go back with the same? I’ve not had the bike long enough to have an opinion, and because it wasn’t running when I got it. After carb clean, new plugs it ran. But I haven’t verified if the charging system is working properly etc. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. 78 kz 650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Kz 650 coil 78 29 Dec 2019 15:52 #816093

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Dyna S is an ignition system sold by Dynatek. It is not a coil or coil-type. Dynatek also sells coils that it recommends for use with a Dyna S ignition. Those are usually the full-size, green, 3-ohm coils.

Those green coils will work with points but are not generally recommended for points. The higher current tends to shorten the life of the points.

So the question is, do you have a Dyna S ignition to go with those green coils, or are you using points?

The Dynatek coils are generally regarded as very reliable, so if you want a matched pair, buying a replacement might be cheaper than a pair of stock coils, provided you are using a Dyna S ignition.

The Dyna S will work with the stock, black, 4-ohm coils that came with the bike. If you can get new ones of those, they tend to be less expensive and work well. Obviously they will also work with points.

One thing people often do, that prematurely kills a coil or ignition module, is try to turn the motor over while the spark plug wires are disconnected. If a path is not given to each plug wire while cranking, a coil or igniter can be damaged,

Last edit: by loudhvx.

Kz 650 coil 78 30 Dec 2019 07:15 #816125

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Remove the right side engine cover to see what sort of ignition it is. Stock would be points, but someone might have installed the Dyna S or the Kawasaki electronic ignition from an 81-83 KZ650. or from a 750-4, since they have the same ignition system. Get a new gasket beforehand. I keep several at hand since that cover has to be removed for various reasons & I would rather not have to wait around for a new one to arrive if the old one gets torn.

• Page: