Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Turn Signal Indicator, Headlight and More! 31 Oct 2019 18:37 #813349

• mjudge
  • mjudge's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I have a 79 KZ650C. I wired the turn signals the exact same way as my 78 KZ650B2A, which looks exactly the same. I hit the left directional switch, and the front left and rear left both work fine, but the indicator blinks right. Right front and rear work fine, but the indicator blinks left. There are no running lights, headlight or dash lights. The rear red running light works, but no brake light. I'm having a hard time reading the circuit diagram, but inside the headlight there's a green wire with two empty female plugs, a gray wire with two empty female plugs, and a brown male wire just sitting there. All the fuses are fine, and the bulbs are all correct 1157s in front and 1156s in the rear. I'm going nuts,; am I missing something simple?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turn Signal Indicator, Headlight and More! 01 Nov 2019 05:14 #813360

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1619
Indicators. I guess I would swap the indicator sockets under the pilot cover. somebody may have pulled them out to change bulbs then flip flopped them upon reinstallation. or you could swap the gray & green wires in the connector if the sockets are difficult to remove or something.

Brown wire. The brown wire w male terminal probably should be plugged into the ignition switch brown wire. see 650-C3 wiring diagram. The brown wire circuit supplies power to various components. If disconnected, some of the dash lights & other stuff won't work, such as the Br light.

Brake light. The disconnected brown wire may be the problem w the brake light >> no power to Br light.
If you need to check for power, the blue wire at the tail light connector is for the brake light & the red wire is for the tail light.
The tail light is on it's own circuit >> red wire from ignition switch. The tail light bulb has 2 filaments. make sure both are good.

Unused terminals. The KZ650.Info model information page has wiring diagrams. The unused terminals may be for accessories.
The diagrams for the 650-B2A & 650-C3 show 2 unused terminals & an unused 2-pin connector near the meters & turn signals.

note: the 650-C3 diagram is missing a splice symbol on the brown wire between the Fr brake light switch & horn. I think the Fr running lights are missing a splice symbol as well.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Turn Signal Indicator, Headlight and More! 01 Nov 2019 05:33 #813361

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Here's a link to the 1979 KZ650-C3 wiring diagram. Ed

diagrams.kz650.info/wiring/images/KZ650-B3,C3.jpg
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Turn Signal Indicator, Headlight and More! 01 Nov 2019 06:56 #813369

• mjudge
  • User
Thanks guys, appreciate the assistance. I have a hard time discerning between blue and green too due to my advanced age! Here's a picture of what I have going on. Thanks again.
Attachments:

Turn Signal Indicator, Headlight and More! 01 Nov 2019 07:41 #813373

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828
Here's a pic of the inside (before I cleaned it up) of the headlight shell of my 1977 KZ650-C1. The turn signal wiring looks the same. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Turn Signal Indicator, Headlight and More! 03 Nov 2019 11:35 #813490

• mjudge
  • User
So in the very back of the headlight bucket, where the wires come through, was an empty female connector that the brown wire went into and solved the lighting issue. I swapped the wires around in the back by the tail light and that solved the indicator light issue. Everything now works as it should, and thanks again!

• Page: