dash light bulbs

More
20 Oct 2019 10:47 #812771 by z1rredo
dash light bulbs was created by z1rredo
can anyone please guide me on how to replace dash light bulbs on a 1978 KZ1000Z1R, i have removed the fairing already,not sure how to proceed,thanks in advance for any feedback.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
More
20 Oct 2019 12:09 - 20 Oct 2019 12:09 #812777 by hardrockminer
Replied by hardrockminer on topic dash light bulbs
I can't speak specifically about the Z1R but on my bikes there is a main plate holding the gauges and the ignition. You need to remove anything that prevents you from getting at your gauges...possibly your headlight and signals. Then remove the gauges. There should be light bulbs in the gauges themselves. Then remove the dash panel to access your dash lights.

The attached photos show the Z1 dash panel from the top side and bottom side. You can see the panel lights in the first photo. The bottom photo shows where the gauges are held on.

I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Oct 2019 12:09 by hardrockminer.

More
20 Oct 2019 12:28 #812780 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic dash light bulbs
Kawasaki.com & Partzilla have exploded diagrams. Partzilla is easier to use. The bulb sockets are incased in rubber & the rubber tends to harden over time. The meter sockets can be incredibly difficult to remove >> I use silicone spray lubricant.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton, slmjim+Z1BEBE

• slmjim+Z1BEBE
  • User
  • Enjoy Life! IT HAS AN EXPIRATION DATE!
More
22 Oct 2019 05:55 #812840 by slmjim+Z1BEBE
Replied by slmjim+Z1BEBE on topic dash light bulbs

martin_csr wrote: ... The meter sockets can be incredibly difficult to remove >> I use silicone spray lubricant.

Good advice to use thin lube to remove the rubber sockets. After 40+ yrs. they're usually hard, prone to cracking & tearing when removed from their mounting holes.

Good Ridin'
slmjim & Z1BEBE

A biker looks at your engine and chrome.
A Rider looks at your odometer and tags.

1973 ('72 builds) Z1 x2
1974 Z1-A x2
1975 Z1-B x2
1993 CB 750 Nighthawk x2
2009 ST1300A

www.kawasaki-z-classik.com
An enthusiast's forum focused exclusively
on all things Z1, Z2 and KZ900.

More
22 Oct 2019 06:14 #812841 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic dash light bulbs
Silicone spray. Liquid wrench is the best silicone spray I've used & I use it to clean just about everything on the motorcycle & for lubricating rubber parts. I don't like CRC silicone spray as it has a significant amount of acetone. PB Blaster makes a silicone garage door lubricant, but their product is under too much pressure & splats everywhere when sprayed. DuPont also makes a silicone spray, but I like LW better & it's cheaper.