Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Cut Key From Code - 1982 KZ1300 13 Oct 2019 14:34 #812380

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I recently picked up this bike very cheaply. It's pretty much all there, and only has an indicated 5,800 miles on it, but it's been sitting for 12+ years.

Sometime during that interval, the key(s) were lost. I'm trying to get new ones cut from the key code.

Here's the response I got from Cycle Keys Online, with my response. Can anybody help me figure out which of the two possible "cuts" I need?

Key Code: z58xx (last two numbers redacted for now)

On 10/12/2019 3:24 PM, Cycle Keys Online wrote:

"Several of the "Z" codes have 2 possible cuts for the same code, your code is one of them. Do you have a working key now you could send me a picture of so I can verify which cut you need? If not, there's no way to know which cut your ignition uses."

My Response:

"Nope, no key. The bike was parked for 12+ years, and they lost the key(s).
1) Is it a matter of cutting the same blank on one side or the other?
2) Is there one of the two options that is very much more common than the other?
3) I have both a helmet lock and the seat lock off the bike--I can easily (I think) take apart the helmet lock and photograph it, or describe to you what the cylinder looks like--would that do it?
4) If another person who specifically has an '82 KZ1300 could supply me with a good photo of both sides of their key, would that do?
Everything I've read tells me that all of the keys (two helmet, one seat, one ignition) are the same. The two parts I've removed have the same code."

Any thoughts?
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger (and) more complex... It takes a touch of genius
and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." -- E.F. Schumacher, from Small is Beautiful (1973)

"How are you going to tell Bernie to 'let go of the torch' when he invented fire?" Trevor Noah

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Cut Key From Code - 1982 KZ1300 14 Oct 2019 06:03 #812410

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Try contacting rstnick at the KZ650.Info site. He has cut keys in the past & probably knows what key you need & he might be able to cut one or two at reasonable cost. You'll have to register & log-in to get into the forums over there. A link to the site is in his KZR signature at the bottom of any of his replies here.

Alternatively, you could find the key in the diagrams for your motorcycle at Partzilla, then search the part number on eebbaayy. Partzilla may have a photo of the key blank. Some EB sellers sell keys by the code. Also, the same key should fit all of the locks. assuming nothing has been replaced.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Cut Key From Code - 1982 KZ1300 14 Oct 2019 06:53 #812419

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 429
No
definitely a service. I doubt he even covers his costs.
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Last edit: by JR.

Cut Key From Code - 1982 KZ1300 14 Oct 2019 09:11 #812436

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
How much does a key cost? Just order one of each. Or, if you like a gamble, order one. Maybe you get it right first time!!
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550
(CB500/4)
(CBX750)
GSF600
KZ1000CSR
XT 600e

Cut Key From Code - 1982 KZ1300 09 Nov 2019 20:09 #813767

• rdurost
  • rdurost's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Just to document what I ended doing--

I ended up having to make the five-hour round trip to Bend, Oregon, on another errand, and while I was there I happened to stumble across a local company that specializes in Locks and Safes. They were very helpful.

It seems that these bikes are old enough that the key information has been released, and was re-published in the "Reed Code Book" which I understand is available to locksmiths. Both the Reed book (specifically book 7) and the Instacode key-cutting software that this locksmith uses, call for an Ilco X103/KA14 blank. No ambiguity there, despite what other vendors led me to expect. They made me two keys for the base price of $25. They both fit and work flawlessly--another reason to believe that the indicated mileage of 5600 is correct, and the cylinders basically unworn.
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger (and) more complex... It takes a touch of genius
and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." -- E.F. Schumacher, from Small is Beautiful (1973)

"How are you going to tell Bernie to 'let go of the torch' when he invented fire?" Trevor Noah
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

Cut Key From Code - 1982 KZ1300 12 Nov 2019 07:34 #813907

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2051
In my experience, a real locksmith is worth every penny they charge when it comes to getting keys and locks to work as designed.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: