• Page:

TOPIC:

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 25 Sep 2019 12:20 #811341

• Gdailey2112
  • Gdailey2112's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
  • Thank you received: 34
In regards to the smaller sized shims that are needed for this starter, seems to only have one shim, and I believe it's supposed to have about 2 shims and a thrust washer. My question being, is there a specific size of washer(s) I can obtain locally that'll work?? Thanks in advance!
1982 KZ1100D1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 26 Sep 2019 08:32 #811385

• old_kaw
  • User
  • Thank you received: 269
You must be referring to the starter clutch selective shim washers. Not sure, check the parts diagrams for your year / model.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
Located in the Saint Louis, Missouri Area.

Last edit: by old_kaw.

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 26 Sep 2019 09:47 #811389

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
If you click on the part number in the parts list, you can see the sizes. Looks like several are 9.1 X 18 X 0.2 and the single thicker one is 91. X 18 X 0.8

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...ter-clutch-kz1100-b2
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 26 Sep 2019 10:38 #811390

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
Referring to the 3 smaller ones on the brush end of the starter motor. This starter came from a bone yard, ...I can tell someone or maybe several have been into this thing. Screw heads were stripped!!
1982 KZ1100D1

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 26 Sep 2019 12:49 #811395

• old_kaw
  • User
Not a big deal, if I remember right I think there is a fiber or rubber washer in the stack up somewhere. It is meant to act as a braking for spin down of the armature upon de-energization. Easy stuff for billy-bob to lose in the dirt & gravel driveway / workbench.

I wouldn't sweat the end play too much as long as it's got enough room to turn freely and hold the armature in position. The partzilla link Texaskz posted shows the starter motor breakdown and list the shims used.

** EDIT: I don't remember exactly how many washers there were, but if memory serves me, there were 2-3 shims and a fiber brake / spin down washer. They are easy to miss, stick together, and would surely end up in the bottom of a pan of solvent if not carefully cleaned and inspected. I always pour my solvent through a screen basket when I am done cleaning up parts, and things like this end up in the solvent. They also ride up inside the armature under the brush commutator segments, making them even easier to miss.

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Last edit: by old_kaw. Reason: typo's

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 30 Sep 2019 08:03 #811525

• Gdailey2112
  • User
  • 82 KZ1100D1
Were there any shims on the brush end of armature?
1982 KZ1100D1

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 01 Oct 2019 08:06 #811573

• old_kaw
  • User

Gdailey2112 wrote: Were there any shims on the brush end of armature?

YES, (texasKz said (sevaral.. they are SHIMS) .02mm and (1) .08mm, (and posted a parts link) there were several shims in the commutator end of the armature. I don't remember exactly how many or their thicknesses. There were at least 3-4 shims and a washer. Probably ~`060" or so total thickness for the stack.

The shim and thrust washer on the drive end take the loading while the starter is energized. The shims under the brushes take up the slack when spinning down.

Attachment not found

Look at the parts breakdown on partzilla that was posted previously..

** EDIT: NOTE that I used the wrong grease. It was all I had at the time. I have a tube of >white lithium< grease >NOW<.. Wheel bearing grease is too thick for a starter motor.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1

Starter motor shims for 82 GPz 1100 24 Oct 2019 09:37 #812943

• old_kaw
  • User
Just a quick update on my starter shims. My starter was growling like the bushings were running dry, since I did not have any white lithium grease the last time I disassembled it, (I used wheel bearing grease) I did not want to let it self destruct due to my incompetence during the last tear-down and cleanup, Sooooo.. I spent yesterday afternoon removing it again, disassembling, cleaning and lubing it. I also paid special attention to the armature thrust washers and shims.

The drive end has the most torque applied and has the beefiest thrust washers and shims. There are / were (2) selective shims that are not shown in the partzilla breakdown, since it does not show the armature at all..

Attachment not found

The brush end only had one thrust washer and one selective shim washer. I may have lost some shims in past repairs.

Attachment not found

The drive end had the main thrust washer with tabs, and one that looked to be fiber or plastic, and 2 thin selective shims. I was not sure how to stack them, and did not try ti find the info in the manual, (greasy computer?) so I just assembled it in a manner that I know will work. I stacked the two selective shims with the plastic washer between them, to keep the armature from wearing through the plastic washer.

Attachment not found

After it was completely assembled and run, the end play seemed to be ~.020-.030". No more dry bushing growling now.
1981 Kawasaki Kz1000K1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gdailey2112

• Page: