• Page:

TOPIC:

81 kZ 1100A Shaft - Hwy fine, then off completely 23 Sep 2019 17:07 #811231

• ReichardtRides
  • ReichardtRides's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,

I assume since I couldn’t find a similar problem via the search tool that my situation is unique (like everyone else who posts here :)

To start, I was hearing a clanking noise that wouldn’t begin until there was speed (won’t hear during idle, bike must be in motion). I was trying to diagnose what this would be but had a situation where I needed to use my bike as my vehicle was not available. I made it all the way to my destination about an hour away just fine on the highway. It started and I returned home about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way home when I began to feel an intense vibration between my two feet. In the manner that I knew something was not right. As I was riding downhill merging my bike shut off completely. I use my momentum to get safely to the shoulder and came back later with my friends truck to pick it up. Side note: my muffler disappeared so my bike was extremely loud and therefore could not hear the clanking and whether it was getting louder/worse.

Now my issue is that my bike won’t turn on in any way whatsoever. At the very least I would expect the electric to turn on, but nothing. No light. No oil light. Nada. Let alone start or crank. I checked my battery with a multimeter and it is fine.

I’m a carpenter and not a motorcycle mechanic and a poor one at that so I’m on my own when it comes to repairs and I’m completely clueless. I ordered an original owners manual but that left me with more questions than answers.

Right now I have my bike hanging mid air in my garage to make it easier to work around, but have gotten to the point where I’m disassembling without knowing what to look for. Since the vibration was between my feet I started from the back thinking it might have something to do with the shaft or the swing arm. I noticed a small crack in picture 4. Would that cause this issue? I figure tackling the electrics would be the first step since I’m getting nothing from the bike. Is there any sort of automatic kill switch because of the vibration causing unsafe riding circumstances?

Thank you very much for reading and your time.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

81 kZ 1100A Shaft - Hwy fine, then off completely 23 Sep 2019 20:19 #811244

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I guess first thing would be to check the fuses.

81 kZ 1100A Shaft - Hwy fine, then off completely 24 Sep 2019 05:58 #811257

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
+1

Those glass tube fuses can look good, but be bad. The element inside the tube can come unsoldered from one end without looking any different. Test them with your meter.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

81 kZ 1100A Shaft - Hwy fine, then off completely 24 Sep 2019 05:59 #811258

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
+1

Those glass tube fuses can look good, but be bad. The element inside the tube can come unsoldered from one end without looking any different. Test them with your meter.

The vibration could be caused by several things like a bad drive chain, bad bearings, et cetera.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• Page: