Z1R tail light out

More
23 Jun 2019 05:40 #806298 by bille7
Z1R tail light out was created by bille7
So my '78's headlight gradually dimmed, signals began blinking really slow, and it began fouling plugs. It was past time to clean all of the connections and check for wiring issues. Had been putting off doing something with the cheesy 3-fuse housing that usually melts around the main fuse connection so I pulled and replaced it with a 4-slot ATM fuse setup (it can be reinstalled as I used the same type of pigtail connector) with a relay to "upgrade" the Dyna ignition . Haven't started the motor yet but after cleaning most of the electrical connections- the lights appear to working normally again. As I began reassembling it, I noticed the tail light was out. There is no power to that connector (red/white wire) just in front of the tail light . The brake, head, and running lights work and if the 3 prong headlamp connector is pulled, the "Headlamp" indicator lights as intended but the "tail/brake" light indicator does not . The brake light functions normally. There is power to both sides of the TAIL fuse so am going to begin tracing the connection back. I'd love to bypass the Aux Lighting Unit but don't want to mess things up and create a small disaster. Before I begin pulling things apart, was hoping to get input from anyone who may have dug in deeper than just cleaning the connectors.

thanks in advance and hope the rest of the weekend is good-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2019 06:34 #806302 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Z1R tail light out
How old is the battery? Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
23 Jun 2019 07:16 #806307 by bille7
Replied by bille7 on topic Z1R tail light out
I wish it was something like that! It has a Shorai bat "currently" putting out 13.6 volts.

thanks-
hoping the rest of the weekend is fun!
gonna work on this another couple of hours then mow and hopefully go riding around 2pm or so-
b

More
23 Jun 2019 08:20 #806315 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Z1R tail light out
Do you have a wiring diagram for the motorcycle? Often times there's a red power wire from the ignition switch to the tail light, so the problem could be with the ignition switch. maybe a soldered connection has failed. ???

More
23 Jun 2019 09:31 #806320 by bille7
Replied by bille7 on topic Z1R tail light out
Yeah I have one and already THOUGHT I posted that it was fixed but was evidently in a hurry and must've missed an error msg after I hit the 'Submit" icon.
c'est la vie. I'm gonna de-activate my profile from KZride. You shouldn't have to check a bunch of traffic light or crosswalk boxes just to send a post...

anyhow yes it is fixed and thanks for chiming in! much appreciated!