Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Help 01 Jun 2019 06:15 #804985

• Sp33dy
  • Sp33dy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Ok i might be in the wrong place I'm aware this is a KZR.. but I have a 800 Vulcan that I made in to a bobber.. that means I stripped it down the wiring too.. my question is I'm wanting to use less wiring then I have to.. what are the main components do I have to have to run it thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Help 01 Jun 2019 06:42 #804986

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Sp33dy wrote: Ok i might be in the wrong place I'm aware this is a KZR.. but I have a 800 Vulcan that I made in to a bobber.. that means I stripped it down the wiring too.. my question is I'm wanting to use less wiring then I have to.. what are the main components do I have to have to run it thanks in advance

Only ignition wiring components are necessary for the engine to run. Included would be the ignition timing unit such as points, Dyna-S, etc., ignition coils, spark plug wires, battery+ wiring to ignition coils, and signal wire from ignition timing unit to the ignition coils.

But if any chassis wiring components (such as lights) are wanted, chassis wiring is needed for such components.

Besides ignition, what electrical components are you wanting?

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: 88kidona78

Help 01 Jun 2019 07:22 #804987

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

Sp33dy wrote: Ok i might be in the wrong place I'm aware this is a KZR.. but I have a 800 Vulcan that I made in to a bobber.. that means I stripped it down the wiring too.. my question is I'm wanting to use less wiring then I have to.. what are the main components do I have to have to run it thanks in advance

Keep in mind that the components you must have to make it run are one thing, but the components needed to make it street legal are another. If you plan to ride it on the street you will need both, otherwise you will very likely spend money on fines or worse. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Help 01 Jun 2019 07:31 #804988

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
You'd also need the charging system. Does your bike have a speedometer or meter/gauge assy?

Here's a topic with some info & links that might be helpful. KZ440 simplified wiring
There won't be a specific diagram for a VN900, but the bare bones for mattylight link has simplified wiring diagrams & you might be able to use 1 or 2 as a guide. Your bike probably has a 3-phase charging system (3 yellow wires from the stator) & the ignition system has 1 pickup coil & 2 ignition coils.

KZ Twins have a single phase charging system and 1 pickup coil plus only 1 ignition coil. So for the ignition I guess you could use a Twin diagram as a guide but keeping in mind that you have 2 ign coils & for the charging system use an 80s 4-cylinder model as a guide. Any other stuff probably wires up pretty much the same.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: