Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 18 May 2019 09:06 #804082

• Grcko
  • Grcko's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 30
I am in the process of replacing the crappy little aftermarket lights on my bike with the original lights. I would like to have the rear lights work as running lights as well as turn signals. (I am using a set of lights from the the front for the rear to accomplish this)
My question is; can I tie lights into the switched positive on the brake circuit or do I need to tie them into the switched positive on the signal circuit? The wiring diagram doesn't show where the line goes to from the front signal circuit other than it ties into each front signal and the tach light so it would be a lot easier to tie into the brake line than to try and trace the other circuit.
Can you tel I am new to bike wiring? :)
As Always,

1983 KZ440

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 18 May 2019 09:32 #804083

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I believe you will find that amber running lights on the rear of a bike are not legal. Amber or red rear turn signals are legal. So if you are determined to modify your bike's lights you may want to consider finding red lenses (see link below). Otherwise a savvy cop may stop you. Ed

www.ricepaddy.com/kawasaki-z1-h1-h2-s2-k...lens-pair-69-05.html
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: loudhvx

Last edit: by 650ed.

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 18 May 2019 15:57 #804109

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
The switched positive wire (often brown) that feeds the brakelight switches can be used to power the running lights. but it would make more sense to just tap into what's already there, which is the tail light wire. I think it might be a red wire.

In addition to what Ed said about rear running light color, you might run into a problem if you actually use rear turn signal fixtures. Some/most Kz's had rear fixtures that only supported turn signals. That means they won't have enough wires and bulb contacts for running lights. As Ed said, generally speaking, if the rear fixtures had red lenses, they will support turn and running lights. If they only had yellow lenses, they will most likely only support turn signal bulbs and not have connections for running lights.

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 19 May 2019 07:07 #804144

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
Couldn't he connect Fr turn signals at the rear, then install new power wires for the running lights?
On my bike I guess I would probably tap into the brown wire circuit at the Rr brake light switch, using a double terminal pin.
If he gets pulled over, he could just disconnect the running light wires to satisfy the police officer, hopefully without getting a ticket.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 19 May 2019 08:59 #804159

• Grcko
  • User
Thanks for the info. I did look at the RCW's for the the running light laws in Washington before starting this. It looked like it was legal but vague. With your warnings about this, I am going to look into it further to get a definite answer before I run them.
I figured I could just use the brake circuit switched hot but wasn't sure if it would cause any issues. I would rather ask a question than to fix a mistake. :)
I am using stock fronts on the rear as well to have the three wire hookup. Using bullet connectors for the running light , I could just lift the seat and disconnect but I am going with not connecting them until I know what the law is. Better safe than sorry as it is not a big deal. With all the traffic hear in Seattle, I just liked the idea of having extra lights on the back as the brake/running light is so small.
I will post the answer to this legal question when I get it.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 19 May 2019 09:19 #804163

• martin_csr
  • User
What 440 do you have? I don't know if this would help much in the visibility department, but since your tail light is small, you might be able to install a larger one from a KZ650/750/1000. Some of them have 2 tail light bulbs, so they should be brighter. The fender damper is the same on many models, so it should be an easy swap, especially if you have an Ltd. If you have a 440B with the turn signals located on the tail light bracket, then that would be more problematic as you'd have to find a Euro/UK Z650 tail light or move the turn signals to the frame.

Also, you could add extra reflectors. I have 4 little button reflectors from Z1Enterprises that secure the license plate.
Some models around 82 or 83 had an extra rear reflector w bracket that fits onto the tail light bracket or license plate bracket.

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 19 May 2019 09:49 #804169

• Grcko
  • User
I have a 1983 KZ440 D5 belt that I have working to get it back to stock withing reason. I will look into a larger tail light and the button reflectors.
Thanks
As Always,

1983 KZ440

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 20 May 2019 07:03 #804231

• Grcko
  • User
Well, under Washington State Law, the rear running lights need to be red as far as I can tell. Since I prefer my stop light and my turn signals to be different colors, I am going to scrap the rear running light idea. Thanks again for the input.

Color of clearance lamps, side marker lamps, backup lamps, and reflectors.
*** CHANGE IN 2019 *** (SEE 5937.SL) ***
(1) Front clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the front or on the side near the front of a vehicle shall display or reflect an amber color.
(2) Rear clearance lamps and those marker lamps and reflectors mounted on the rear or on the sides near the rear of a vehicle shall display or reflect a red color.
(3) All lighting devices and reflectors mounted on the rear of any vehicle shall display or reflect a red color, except the stop lamp or other signal device, which may be red, amber, or yellow, and except that on any vehicle forty or more years old, or on any motorcycle regardless of age, the taillight may also contain a blue or purple insert of not more than one inch in diameter, and except that the light illuminating the license plate shall be white and the light emitted by a backup lamp shall be white or amber.
As Always,

1983 KZ440

KZ440 Rear Turn Signal Wiring 20 May 2019 07:22 #804233

• martin_csr
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationYour bike should have a standard sized tail light & not the smaller one, but you could still look into a 2-bulb tail light.
Reflector w bracket >> eebbaayy # 261416717113 .... the reflector is still available at the Kaw dealer.
see the IGNITION SWITCH/LOCKS/REFLECTORS diagram for the 81 650-CSR.

Police license plate holder w lights >> eebbaayy # 2273843576018 ... has blue lights. new red are available but pricy. or get aftermarket.
KZ1000 Police bikes. lights available in blue, amber & red.

Aftermarket marker light. there are many others. sample EB search = red rear marker tail light motorcycle.

• Page: