oil pressure switch required

More
21 Mar 2019 22:34 #800814 by Jeffcox
oil pressure switch required was created by Jeffcox
Gday Mates

I have almost finished my ELR 1100
But the last item is the oil pressure light still keeps on blinking
Although i have discovered that the switch is missing I cannot find a replacement mainly because it works in reverse to the conventional IE Open circuit before start up and closes on operation of the engine
if by chance anyone has a spare oil pressure for a 1982 kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 i would greatly help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2019 03:44 #800818 by jayrodoh

More
22 Mar 2019 06:35 - 22 Mar 2019 07:00 #800820 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic oil pressure switch required
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Jeffcox wrote: Gday Mates

I have almost finished my ELR 1100
But the last item is the oil pressure light still keeps on blinking
Although i have discovered that the switch is missing I cannot find a replacement mainly because it works in reverse to the conventional IE Open circuit before start up and closes on operation of the engine
if by chance anyone has a spare oil pressure for a 1982 kawasaki GPZ 1100 B2 i would greatly help

Did you find a plug in it's place? If not, wouldn't oil pour out of the pressure-switch port hole?

The conventional operation of a KZ oil pressure switch is to be normally closed when the engine is shut off. When the engine is running and producing oil pressure, the switch opens. (It wasn't clear if you were describing the conventional switch or what you actually need.)

If you actually need a pressure switch that is the opposite of the convention, that may be difficult to find. But an inverter circuit would be easy to make using a transistor and maybe a resistor or two. I assume the switch still uses the engine block as ground.

EDIT: Looking at the parts fiche, it appears the 1982 Kz1100 B2 (gpz ) uses the oil-level switch (27010-1067), and not an oil-pressure switch. It is located in the bottom of the oil pan and is about 1-1/4" in diameter. It is a flange-looking device held in by two bolts, when you see it from the bottom of the pan. If it were missing, I would think the oil would dump out. Maybe it's in place, but the wires were cut off?

Here's one of a few on (USA) ebay. Search 27010-1067. Perhaps there is one closer to you.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 07:00 by loudhvx.

More
22 Mar 2019 08:29 #800830 by jayrodoh
Replied by jayrodoh on topic oil pressure switch required
There is an oil pressure switch as well according to the fiche. Part 27010-1013

1982 KZ750-M1 CSR

More
22 Mar 2019 09:07 - 22 Mar 2019 09:37 #800833 by loudhvx

jayrodoh wrote: There is an oil pressure switch as well according to the fiche. Part 27010-1013

Yes, the image shows it, but I think the same image is used for 1981 and 1982.
The 1981 listing of parts for the crankcase fiche lists fitting 92005A, which supports a pressure switch.
The 1982 lisitng of parts for the crankcase fiche lists fitting 92005B, which does not support a pressure switch.

This is the 1981 fiche. Note it lists part 92005A which supports the pressure switch, and the pressure switch is also listed.
www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/143830/1981/KZ1100-B1

This is the 1982 fiche. Note it uses the same graphic, but lists 92005B, which does not support the pressure switch, and the pressure switch is no longer listed.
www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/143830/1982/KZ1100-B2

And, reciprocally, the 81 oil-pan fiche shows the oil-level switch but does not list it.
The 82 oil-pan fiche shows the same graphic, and does list the oil pressure switch.

Now, all that said, if the fiches are wrong, it wouldn't be the first time.
Oh, and without going back into the fiches, I should mention that it might depend on the serial number of the motor, which oil fitting is on the bike... as I recall seeing a note with a serial number on it.
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 09:37 by loudhvx.

More
22 Mar 2019 18:20 - 22 Mar 2019 18:22 #800870 by Jeffcox
Replied by Jeffcox on topic oil pressure switch required
Hello All
I have just remember that I have installed a 1981 engine as i had 2 bikes to start with
so my problem is the oil pressure switch appears to work in opposite to the normal not sure why this is
but i do remember rerouting the wire from down low at the rear of the engine to higher up in the center behind the cylinders where they all are
so far i have tried the plastic one that works normally and opens when oil pressure arrives on start up but instead of the light going out it stays on and goes out when engine stops As I'm an electrician be it an old one its quiet frustrating to have all the bike working well except this switch
This Kawasaki is a ELR copy looks great sounds awesome handles well is a real beast to ride retrobiker58 on instagram for a few images if you are up for some pictures of our tips here and there as well
anyway back to the switch it appears from my electrical knowledge although I have been wrong before and always open to advise
at present the oil pressure wire is just fixed to frame and the light is OFF
I hope this explains it clearly
Cheers Mates
Last edit: 22 Mar 2019 18:22 by Jeffcox.

More
23 Mar 2019 08:12 - 23 Mar 2019 09:06 #800885 by loudhvx
It is your bike's gauge wiring that works opposite of what is required for an oil-pressure switch. Assuming you want to keep the 82 gauges and you want something to make the oil light go on and off somewhat as expected, (an oil-level light would presumably be off all the time until the oil level dropped too low in the crankcase)....

here are your options as I see it...

I suppose the most proper way to fix this issue would be to install an oil-level switch into your 81 motor. But this could be a big job, requiring the installation of a 1982 oil pan. That seems like a lot of work just to get an oil light to go out.

If you have the oil-pressure switch housing for the 81 installed and thus you can install a standard oil-pressure switch, an inverter circuit should be relatively easy to install. I can draw one up if you want. Soldering a couple components should be easy for you.

Another option would be a simple relay circuit using a readily available, generic automotive relay. You would have to find a place to hide the relay and run a few extra wires.

Or you can source a pressure switch that works opposite of a normal one, but that seems hard to get, since you've probably already been searching for one.

To use the pressure switch with an inverter:
It may be the circuit for an oil-level switch is designed to be "slow". That is it reacts slowly to opening and closing of the switch. This is similar to a fuel gauge where you don't want sloshing of the liquid to set off false level readings. So it is designed to react slowly ... or to put it another way, react to the average level over time.

The oil light turns on when the oil sensor wire is open.
The oil light turns off when the oil sensor wire is grounded.

To use a pressure switch with an inverter to act upon an oil-level circuit requires an inverter as mentioned. The first test is to see what some of the limits are to the impedance of the circuit. Place a resistor in series with the oil-pressure switch to see how high of a resistance is required to make the light come on. Try 100 ohms, 1k ohms and 10k ohms one at a time to see which ones have the light on and which ones don't (It's possible they will all behave the same.)
Last edit: 23 Mar 2019 09:06 by loudhvx.