Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Blown main fuse as soon as key turned 16 Mar 2019 15:54 #800438

• Cc2235
  • Cc2235's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi guys, I’m brand new and working on my first motorcycle a 1981 kz440......and I have gremlins. As soon as I turn the key in the ignition I get about 3 seconds of check oil light before there’s a small pop and a plume if smoke from my fuse box. The other two fuses are fine but the main is done. Any recommendations on where to start? I’ve never worked with any electrical issues before and would love a extremely dumbed down set of potential remedies. Thanks in advance

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Cc2235.

Blown main fuse as soon as key turned 16 Mar 2019 17:23 #800442

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2670
You have a dead short. I'd get the wiring diagram out of the factory Kawasaki manual and trace power leaving the ignition circuit and find where the connectors are, then disconnect them one by one to isolate the short to within one section.
The following user(s) said Thank You: postoak

Blown main fuse as soon as key turned 17 Mar 2019 19:34 #800535

• Irish Yobbo
  • User
  • Thank you received: 93

Nessism wrote: You have a dead short. I'd get the wiring diagram out of the factory Kawasaki manual and trace power leaving the ignition circuit and find where the connectors are, then disconnect them one by one to isolate the short to within one section.

I agree - but I'd do it backwards. Disconnect everything running off the main circuit, then turn the ignition on and start plugging it back in. When the fuse blows, you know it's the one you just plugged.
1981 KZ750 LTD

• Page: