Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 08:41 #799673

• Discgolfbeast1
  • Discgolfbeast1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • 83 KZ1100A3
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all! First time poster, with a decent question. I have an 83 kz1100 a3 that my son and I are turning into a cafe. We have a ton of new parts, but right now the turn signals are killing us. The new have two wire (red and black), where as the original wiring has 3 wires (black-yellow, blue, and gray). How do I go about hooking up my new front turn signals with this setup? Any advice will be greatly appreciated, seeing as I don't want my son to see me not being able to figure it out. Thanks in advance.
83 KZ1100 A3
Mikuni RS36
Dyna S 2000
EBC lightweight rotors

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 08:43 #799675

• Discgolfbeast1
  • User
  • 83 KZ1100A3
I have plenty of pictures to download, both before and after for every step of the way. Cheers!
83 KZ1100 A3
Mikuni RS36
Dyna S 2000
EBC lightweight rotors

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 08:55 #799676

• 2strokerider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
The fronts have 3 wires for turn, running lights, and ground. The rears have 2 wires for turn and ground
The following user(s) said Thank You: Discgolfbeast1

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 09:01 #799677

• Discgolfbeast1
  • User
  • 83 KZ1100A3
So, do I connect the ground(black and yellow) with the gray wire? Or do I run the ground to an actual ground terminal, and hook the gray wire to the black of my turn signal? Right now I have the gray tied in with the black yellow. Obviously the blue wire carries the signal. Am I correct on my thinking about this?
83 KZ1100 A3
Mikuni RS36
Dyna S 2000
EBC lightweight rotors

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 09:23 #799679

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1022
Kawasaki bikes have colour coded wiring where you should match colour to colour. Black/yellow is your ground wire. It should connect to a black/yellow in your main harness. The gray wire is your turn signal and should connect to a gray wire coming out of the harness.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Discgolfbeast1

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 09:27 #799680

• Discgolfbeast1
  • User
  • 83 KZ1100A3
I was trying to do the wiring at the end of the original wires at the turn signals. Do I just add the gray wire to the black/yellow?
83 KZ1100 A3
Mikuni RS36
Dyna S 2000
EBC lightweight rotors

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 10:04 #799687

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Am presupposing that the new turn signals use a single filament bulb serving only as a blinker.
Whereby one of its two wires (red or black) goes to the bulb filament (perhaps red).
And the other goes to ground (perhaps black).

New rear right turn signal:
Chassis grey wire to rear right flasher bulb filament (perhaps red).
Chassis black/yellow wire to rear right flasher ground (perhaps black).

New rear left turn signal:
Chassis green wire to rear left flasher bulb filament (perhaps red).
Chassis black/yellow wire to rear left flasher ground (perhaps black).

New front right turn signal:
Chassis grey wire to front right flasher bulb filament (perhaps red).
Chassis black/yellow wire to front right flasher ground (perhaps black).
Ignore chassis blue "running light" wire.

New front left turn signal:
Chassis green wire to front left flasher bulb filament (perhaps red).
Chassis black/yellow wire to front left flasher ground (perhaps black).
Ignore chassis blue "running light" wire.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kzkrazy, Discgolfbeast1

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 04 Mar 2019 10:08 #799689

• Discgolfbeast1
  • User
  • 83 KZ1100A3
Thank you sir for your recommendations. I will try tonight, after I get home from work, or in the morning after the kids go to school.
83 KZ1100 A3
Mikuni RS36
Dyna S 2000
EBC lightweight rotors

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 15 Mar 2019 20:32 #800405

• Kzkrazy
  • User
Did you have any luck with this? I am having the exact same issue.

Edit: Never mind it worked for me.

Last edit: by Kzkrazy.

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 16 Mar 2019 06:05 #800411

• hugo
  • Sustaining Member
  • '92 Zephyr 750
  • Thank you received: 65
Basically, you have the wrong lights for the front. The proper lights would have three wires for two circuits; running lights and directionals, the third wire is ground.

...in you insists in keeping them, then you would have to sacrify the running lights and use only the directionals.. On Kawasaki Yellow/Black is the ground of the bike or battery negative.. Blue is Running Lights, and Gray is turning lights.

....additionally, the stock mechanical relay(doing the clicking), won't work with LEDs. You would need an electronic relay if you have not got one already.

Last edit: by hugo.

Adding new led turn signals that are two wire, factory turn signals have 3 wires 16 Mar 2019 14:07 #800435

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899

hugo wrote:
....additionally, the stock mechanical relay(doing the clicking), won't work with LEDs. You would need an electronic relay if you have not got one already.

You Need a current load Independent turn Signal relay. LED turn signals need only 10 Watt, normal bulbs need 40 Watt.
The old KZ turn Signal relay cant handle the Job without an extra ballast resistor. (Bi-metal heat memory effect).

www.elektronikbox.de/blink_v2_uk.html

Last edit: by Scirocco.
  • Page: