Shorai Battery

More
27 Feb 2019 09:38 - 27 Feb 2019 09:38 #799338 by nixon
Shorai Battery was created by nixon
I am looking at replacing the battery on my 1981 KZ750 LTD with a battery from Shorai .

Just wanting input from experienced electrical gurus that this will not be a problem:

"Shorai Batteries require a charging system output of 13.1 Volts or higher at idle, and must not exceed 15.2 volts at maximum output."
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 09:38 by nixon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Feb 2019 10:50 - 27 Feb 2019 10:51 #799339 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Shorai Battery
Don't bother with the Shorai they don't last long and when the do go they give no warning just like flicking a switch.
Mine lasted 80 miles and suddenly died 8 miles from home and that was with an entirely new electrical / charging system.
I had bought the matching 2 amp charger too so that was an expensive waste of money.
The supplier refunded me no questions asked though and just told me to chuck it in the bin so that's saying something.
I replaced it with a Fulbat SLA which has done fine for the past few years and hasn't left me stranded 8 miles from home pushing the bike in full leathers on the hottest day of the year.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 10:51 by zed1015.

More
27 Feb 2019 14:07 - 27 Feb 2019 14:09 #799347 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Shorai Battery
I don't know about the kz but I have experienced great success with my ZRX battery. It's awesome, haven't ever had to recharge it, haven't had to take it out of the cold. I have had it in my bike for a very long time already. Going on 7 years or more already. I bought one for my kz but to be honest I was told the charging system isn't steady and that might destroy the battery in quick order. Hard to say.
I have experienced good success with the fiberglass mat gel cel batteries. Had one for five years in my kz whereas the others that I have used including Yuasa have died within three years and this is taking them out from the cold during the winter months. When I was riding my rex I put over 30 thousand miles on with same battery so there's that.
edit: also all of my batteries have gone with no warning . So, that is not just a shorai problem.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200
Last edit: 27 Feb 2019 14:09 by saxjonz.

• Blue58
  • User
  • Old, Bald and Fast
More
28 Feb 2019 04:21 - 28 Feb 2019 04:23 #799385 by Blue58
Replied by Blue58 on topic Shorai Battery
I have tired using many different brands of lithium batteries in my race bikes to save a few pounds. My results have been mixed and I have not used shorai . Overall lithium batteries are a pain and cost to much money to justify using them. I have to switched glass matt batteries. One big issue with lithium batteries is they hate cold.
Last edit: 28 Feb 2019 04:23 by Blue58.

More
28 Feb 2019 14:06 #799410 by Irish Yobbo
Replied by Irish Yobbo on topic Shorai Battery
I used a lithium battery for a few years without issue, but you should really check your charging system with a multimeter first.

I also have a 1981 KZ750 LTD, and the charge voltage is determined by the accessories circuit - lower voltage on the accessories means a higher charge voltage to compensate. The issue is that when you turn on the headlights the accessories circuit drops in voltage, and the battery can start overcharging - it was getting over 15V for me.

Using relays for the headlight circuit has fixed this problem and I used the lithium battery for a while without issues. I can't comment on that battery in particular, but a lot of the issues people are worries about with lithium batteries ( charging, cold starting) really haven't been an issue.

1981 KZ750 LTD

More
01 Mar 2019 22:24 #799506 by nixon
Replied by nixon on topic Shorai Battery
Thanks for the info.
The reason I have looked into lithium batteries is only for the weight and size. Working on a build right now and size is an issue.
I haven't looked into the Fulbat batteries (assuming they're european...I'm in canada).

As far as the glass mat batteries go....can they be mounted at any angle like the lithium ones? Any brands that you suggest?

More
02 Mar 2019 01:17 #799508 by zed1015
Replied by zed1015 on topic Shorai Battery

nixon wrote: Thanks for the info.
The reason I have looked into lithium batteries is only for the weight and size. Working on a build right now and size is an issue.
I haven't looked into the Fulbat batteries (assuming they're european...I'm in canada).

As far as the glass mat batteries go....can they be mounted at any angle like the lithium ones? Any brands that you suggest?

The Fulbat SLA was from germany and it's only 10mm taller than the Shorai so managed to get it in the same space.
It's sealed so safe to lay at any angle which is how i have mine ( on it's side).
I'm in the UK and just bought the Fulbat because of the price (only £27 delivered from germany) but i'm sure there are other makes more local to you that will do the job just as well.

AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

More
02 Mar 2019 05:26 #799514 by zukdave
Replied by zukdave on topic Shorai Battery
I've had a 270 cca shorai in my KZ650 for a few years and never had an issue with it.

1980 KZ650 F1
ZX750A1 motor.
Wiseco 810cc kit.
Zukiworks racing ported head.
VM 29 smooth bore's.
Dyna 2000 Ign. w/Dyna mini coil's
APE cylinder stud's and nut's.
APE valve spring's.
APE Track King clutch.
V/H KZ1000 sidewinder.
3.5x18 laced to a KZ1000 disk hub.
150/60/18 Shinko 006 Podium.
63" wheel base.

More
02 Mar 2019 18:55 #799549 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Shorai Battery
I posted and I think it was lost but yeah, gel cell doesn’t leak. No vents. Might be fine to mount sideways unlike acid batteries. Lithium is lightweight and gives you one pony at least maybe two extra hp and freeing up extra ponies is good, right? Two to three times the cost. If you have older charging system the fluctuations may not be like by lithium but there is a regulator rectifier that would work. Either way. Glass batteries are cheaper a little lighter than stock and last longer. Better bang for buck but if want to shed weight lithium is great as the others have said. Still in youth. Much to be gleaned from trial and error. The LTO batteries ( from reading on the Insight hybrid forum) are the way to go.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200