Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Walmart or bikebandit starter 04 Dec 2018 10:14 #794615

• jawesi2018
  • jawesi2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The subject says it all what I am looking for opinions on. My magnets in my starter cracked and seized the motor. Walmart offers a $60 starter and bikebandit offers one over $200. My question isn’t about quality because obviously the from bikebandit would be better and last longer. I am curious about fit, one does the Walmart one even fit where the original starter is placed, and two would it be possible to take the ends off of the original starter and put them on the Walmart one, then that would make it for sure fit and mount properly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Walmart or bikebandit starter 04 Dec 2018 11:22 #794618

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Without any part numbers or bike info, it's kind of impossible to answer the question.
Is the bikebandit part oem or aftermarket? If oem, I'm wondering if it's actually available.
Some thing about walmart. If aftermarket, try searching the part number on the internet.

Walmart or bikebandit starter 04 Dec 2018 12:01 #794621

• jawesi2018
  • jawesi2018's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
When you say part number I am going to assume the number for the original starter. The bike is a 1980 Kawasaki KZ440B

Walmart or bikebandit starter 04 Dec 2018 12:22 #794622

• genxrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
It's very likely you won't find a "new" starter for your bike. I've got an 80 440b also, and I've only seen various different starter rebuild kits. Beware of Ebay rebuild kits that appear like they are selling you a complete starter when it's only the brush kit. I just got off Bike bandit and couldn't find the 200$ starter you were looking at- the one I saw listed was $450 or 460.

At any rate- good luck and let us know what you come up with.

Last edit: by genxrider. Reason: spell

Walmart or bikebandit starter 04 Dec 2018 13:05 #794625

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2828

jawesi2018 wrote: When you say part number I am going to assume the number for the original starter. The bike is a 1980 Kawasaki KZ440B

Yes. Every Kawasaki part that was originally available has a part number. Take a look at the first link below. It shows the various components and related part numbers for the 1980 KZ440-B1. You can use it to find the part numbers for every part on your bike. The second link below shows the diagram that includes the starter for the 1980 KZ440-B1; it is from the first link. The part number for the original 1980 KZ440-B1 starter motor assembly is shown as 21163-1011. You can use that part number to search for an original starter or to verify that an aftermarket starter will work on a 1980 KZ440-B1. Ed

www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagrams/1980/KZ440-B1

www.kawasaki.com/Parts/PartsDiagram/143000/1980/KZ440-B1
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Walmart or bikebandit starter 05 Dec 2018 05:26 #794664

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
By jawesi2018: When you say part number I am going to assume the number for the original starter. The bike is a 1980 Kawasaki KZ440B.

You say you found a starter at bb & wm. I would assume each one has a part number as most places will provide some sort of number. bikebandit could be one of those sites that doesn't list a useable part number. some will do this to make it harder to check or compare elsewhere. I don't like bikebandit because of the way they handled orders in the past. not sure what they do nowadays.

Partzilla is another place with diagrams & their site is the easiest to use. cmsnl.com is another & they have pics of some parts. Partzilla lists some of their stuff on EB.

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: